Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X3 non stop crashes

Greg_J

I installed X3 on our laptop for the lathe and no matter what I do it crashes. If I convert files it crashes if I load a file it crashes if I make a facing program it crashes if I make a roughing program it crashes. I think I should uninstall it and try to reinstall it.

What should I do?

Greg

I have documented issues with crashing very soon after MC converts a file "on-the-fly" for me. This has happened after migration which seemed to simply copy (say a tool library for example)a file to the new X3 install folder. Then the first time MC tried to use that tool library it offers to convert it on the fly (because the tool library is still X2 version). In my experience the conversion works great then MC blows up seconds later. My advice is to allow the conversion (on the fly) then re-start MC. Other than this one situation, X3 has never crashed on me. Hope this helps.

That's how X2 works for us.

X3 was just installed, and it won't work. It seems like I can just go a little farther after each crash. Now I made it to making programs, when it goes to calculate it crashes. It also wont let go of the lathe licence so I have to restart the computer with the nethasp in it.

are you copying your X2 config files into you X3 install.. if so, that is the problem... all the data paths are wrong...

uninstall X3.. delete the X3 folder...

do a clean install with no migration.. I'll bet its rock solid.. if its not there is some kind

of video issue going on..

We've got three seats of X3 going here.. no rouble at all.

+1 gcode

When I first installed X3 I went the migration route first and had a lot of problems, of course I usually do. X2 even got blown away, I couldn't use it and 'I' couldn't fix it. So I uninstalled every thing and did a clean install first on X2 MR2 SP1 and everything went great. I used it for a few days to get through some jobs and had no problems. Didn't have any error messages at all when opening X2. Since then I've Install X3 ( the same way) and it went beautifully, no problems at all. This is how I'll do them from now on too. It does take a bit of time to go through and get everything the way you want, but that said, I spent more time fixing things when I used the migrate function. Do a clean install cheers.gif

I found when importing directorys from, there is an X but no X2. Whats up with that? headscratch.gif

So I have copied them in X3 and let X3 prompt me to update from previous version. Works good. PS I will never MIGRATE my settings! and recomend it to customers not to. It's not worth it.

quote:

PS I will never MIGRATE my settings! and recomend it to customers not to. It's not worth it.

That's why I am for removing the option.

If 10 people have no problem and 1,000 people do, sorry, but you have to serve the 1,000 people.

It causes more problems and costs far more time to use it for most.

quote:

PS I will never MIGRATE my settings! and recomend it to customers not to. It's not worth it.

quote:

That's why I am for removing the option.

How 'bout we FIX the problem? It's ridiculous that you have to set up your toolbars, configs, etc with every MR.

Thad

you don't Thad, you would still be able to carry them in but it would be done manually. It is the ONLY safe and accurate way to get it done for the average user.

It's either that or they don;t allow side by side installations. I think that is the more draconian option.

Well, I have carried my config file for many versions, updated continually manually and I have all the options. You can always bring it forward, you cannot, at this point in time, go backwards.

Hey John, I was just on the phone for over a 1/2 hour talking to a customer that had migrated from X to X2MR2SP1 and sure enough all his data paths were going back to X, all MMD's ext. How would you redirect them back to X2. It seemed no matter what he tried they would keep directing back to X. This is why they should do without migrating.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...migration...

eek.gif

Thanks but no thanks.

quote:

...This is why they should FIX migrating...

But in the mean time, they shold remove the option until it's ready for prime time. With that said, Custom C-Hooks in the prior version that create tool bars, etc... create some of the headache.

I have given it some thought though about what may be a better option for location handling that apparently causes the issues - if all that information were stored in the registry, files and locations for everyting of consequence, the migration utility could just copy and update the registry entries for the new installation. Have the system config use pointers that way the current structure could be maintained.

JM2C