Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Circles coming in as 2 arcs

Thad

Is there an import setting that tells MC to import a circle as 2 180 degree arcs? I've seen this lately when working with .stp file. I've only recently started working with .stp files.

The file is a solid and I have MC create edge curves on import.

Thad

I never put on edge curves at import. After import is done then I create curves only where I need them. If I need to curve the whole part I select the solid and curve all edges, delete duplicates, chose all arcs and join entities. Import of edge curves never seems to be as good as after you've saved as .MCX

Thad, I'm more curious though if the export is breaking the solid arc faces into 180 degree segments before hand. I agree with the statement of not creating anything until I have a clean model in and representing what I need and then only create the entities that I need to manufacture or create from. Why clutter the table and make it harder to get to the meat and potatos!

Ok, maybe you've found this out already but I've tried this in X2MR2 and X3 with the same results.

1st attempt is a direct import in with curves as you did with the arcs resulting as you have happening.

2nd attempt I imported without curves and then created curves which gave me whole arcs, no splits at 180 degrees. I would guess this is what you want but it does look like something that is happening upon import. I hope Pete can shed some light into it.

I pulled the file into SW 08 thinking or hoping to find the faces split thus giving the arcs their definition but not so.

I'll play with some more, kind of interesting.

If you have anything else to add Thad that you've tried please feel free to email or post it to let me know.

Brad

quote:

1st attempt is a direct import in with curves as you did with the arcs resulting as you have happening.

2nd attempt I imported without curves and then created curves which gave me whole arcs, no splits at 180 degrees. I would guess this is what you want but it does look like something that is happening upon import. I hope Pete can shed some light into it.

Brad, I'm getting the same thing. For now on, I'll import only the solid, then create curve all edges when dealing with step files. I think I've dealt with 3 in the last 8 months. Thanks for the help.

Thanks to all who commented. cheers.gif

Pete is also looking into it.

Thad