Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drilling Inconel X750

Robert Ouellette

Hello all

i have a quote to do for drilling 1.625 dia x 18" through hole. what would be the fastest and best way to do this? boring that would be out of the question i think. right? the part is 4" and change od x 18" long. fairly large quantity. new machine is not out of the question if needed.

thanks for you great help that will be coming

bob

Personally I have never drilled inconel that deep. We have gone 6" deep and that in itself is a challenge. You should probably contact a few different reps and have them give you some advice.

I have never trepanned inconel so I don't know how that would work.On the other hand we do drill quite a bit of it in here. This sounds like it's going to be a challenge. Definitely not a quickie. Inconel has a tendency of "moving".

I havent looked in any catalogs, but is the tooling going to be an issue? What kind of tolerances are you looking to hold?

If I had the proper tools I would try the following;

I would spot the hole, then I would pre-drill with a high quality cobalt drills with plenty of pecks (18 SFM @ .004 IPR to start with). Start with stubby drills 1st. Find a way to get the oil in the hole or you'll burn your tools very quickly. Then I would size the holes with a couple of carbide size mills (might have to peck those also).

IMO this is not a simple project.

drilling and boring from either end if you can sounds like good advise.

im sure you know but, food for thought its gonna take some horse power and servo's that can feed hard and consistant for this stuff. thru tool coolant is an unsaid must.

doug

Gundrilling is the best way. Thompson Gun Drill here is Cali is equipped and can handle that with no problem. What we do is get stock over size. Have it gundrilled then put it between centers and turn the od concentric to the id and life is good. If there is a tight ID requirement for finish or size we just hone it in house we can hone up to 48" lengths on our honing machines.

HTH

Ok then go with a AME spade bit. A Sandvik Defib bar and you could do it. The drill will be cheap. The defib bar is about $1400 to $2000 worth every penny. We have done 1.000 +/-.002 8.75 deep in 55rc with no problem using these bars. We also do some 2.7 bores in Titanium 26" deep .1 wall parts with no problem as well.

HTH