Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Simple 2d pocket facing leaving an island?

neurosis

Troy,

Although I dont need the high speed or clean corners I tried them anyway to try to get more efficient tool path. While morph spiral doesnt have all of that air cutting it adds so many more cuts around the profile that its actually faster to just let it run the air cuts. Im sure that the morph is easier on the tool I guess would be the only benefit. I dont mind using zig zag for this particular part but I run in to this same problem quite often when conventional cutting isnt an option. IM still going to play with a few things including some surfacing routines to try to find an efficient solution.

Neurosis,

On a similar note, I'm not too thrilled with the efficiency of MC's 2D pocketing toolpaths (or my ablility to use them) when using nested chains. They typically have way too many wasted moves, recutting areas that the tool has already been in. Morph spiral has been the "cleanest" path, although the cutter usually makes twice as many passes around, if not more, to cut it. The file size of a morph spiral pocket is supersized too.

Thad

quote:

On a similar note, I'm not too thrilled with the efficiency of MC's 2D pocketing toolpaths (or my ablility to use them)

Sometimes I question if it is my ability to use them myself. I try everything that I can think of and then some. Probably to the point that it would be faster to just run the inefficient path and get it over with.

quote:

Try this video of a path like yours.

I just made it few mins ago based on what you want.

Welcome to X3

Much cleaner. I cant wait for some of the buggs to get fixed in X3. The boss wont let me save any part files until allot of the issues get ironed out.

I wonder why allot of the old paths that are commonly used never get attention or fixed. Has the problem with pocketing especially with islands always been this way? Ive tried a variety of different variations with similar situations and the result for me has "always" been the same. Its not even just that it goes back to re-cut areas that do not need it but it also leaves an area that should have been cut.

quote:

What issue are you having that you can not use X3. I am cutting complex parts on Horizontals and virticals with no issue. I know there are few but not any were from stopping me from doing my Job.

Well back to programing.

I dont recall what the issues were. We didnt use it for long before deciding to wait for a service pack. Mastercam must have some new folks doing their algorithms for them that 2d core path is far more efficient than anything ive seen with the pocketing routines including the surface pocketing. Will the old tool path operations eventually just be phased out and replaced with these new functions that were seeing?

quote:

Will the old tool path operations eventually just be phased out and replaced with these new functions that were seeing?

So far there has not been any talk of removing them. as there is a place for them. but you will have more options to help remove the material.

I would ask the boss to install the X3 next to the X2 so you can at least get familer with some of these tool paths.

Ok, after playing with this for a while I noticed that there was one thing that I never tried. I unchecked the "minimize tool burial" button. While the tool path made a few crazy moves, still made allot of air cuts, and conventional cut in a couple of spots, the tool path came out far more efficient.

I then combined this with "Constant overlap spiral" and I think that I may have a winner. If I didnt un-check the "minimize tool burial" I got the same results with "constant overlap spiral" as the original video.

Linky

[ 10-29-2008, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: Neurosis ]

quote:

If it is a prototype part. I deal with it. It is it a production Job I backplot the operation strip out what I do not want use contour with no comp and done. Best way hands down to eliminate airs moves in Mastercam.

Ive been finding myself doing this more and more I gain experience with the system. frown.gif