Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Swarf 5 Axis

Tony Tran

I am totally new to Mastercam 5 Axis. I have been struggled with Swarf although I followed MasterCam Training Tutorials instructions. Here are my problems:

1. Using Wall Chains: Like below shown picture, I selected two red chains and I got error said "Must sync sharp corners".

Swarf_Walls.jpg

2. Using Walls Surfaces: I got an ugly & unexpected toolpath like this

Swarf_Walls_Result.jpg

For another job similar to this one, I got a good result toolpath

Swarf_Walls_Good_Result.jpg

Thank for helping me,

Tony Tran

To solve your sync problem you can select the exclamation point at the bottom of your chaing dialog box. This will open up a new window. At the bottom there is a drop down list for sync mode. If you have the same number of entities in the top and bottom chain and they are broken in a fashion that is close to how you want your tool to move you can choose the entity option. If that doesn't sound like your situation use branch and draw your sync lines in at the points where you want to control the tool motion.

Hi Tony,

I took a look and was able to get a successful Swarf toolpath. Here is what I did:

First I checked your surface normals, there were several surfaces that were reversed, so I made all the normals point "in" towards the pocket...

Then I created edge curves that look exactly like the ones in your picture above. I created these curves in Red.

I also did "un-trim" on the floor surfaces, then used Surface-Extend to extend the floor surfaces so they went past the wall surfaces...

Next I created lines in green that connected the two red chains at the "sync" points. Basically swarf is giving you a problem because you have more entities in your lower rail than you do in your upper rail.

So I created lines at the "transition" points.

When I chained the rails, I went into the chaining options dialog box and set my color mask to red. I also turned on the "sync" options and set it to "branch".

Then I selected the lower rail and then the upper rail.

For Tip Control, I chose the "surfaces" option and selected the newly extended floor surfaces.

In the toolpath dialog box, I set my compensation direction to left (should be default) and set my gap settings "gap size" to .500.

I also set the entry option to "Enter at Start of First Wall"...

The toolpath came out great. I can email you a copy of the file if you want. Just send me a message through my profile and I'll mail you back...

HTH,

You are welcome Tony, glad I could help. You should read the section on "sync mode" in the help file. There are 5 or 6 different methods available.

Those wall surfaces have some funky geometry. I tried several different methods for rebuilding the surfaces so that I could try driving the surface walls, and it failed no matter what I tried. It looks like wireframe chains are the way to go on this particular part.

Thanks,

Colin's Instructions. It is very helpful and super easy to understand:

1. Here is the toolpath in backplot:

Outlook1.jpg

2. Here is a shot of just the wireframe:

Outlook2.jpg

3. When you chain, click on the "options" button (looks like an exclamation point).

I also used a "Color" mask to help me select the chains. I set the mask color to red and blue and left green unchecked. That made it super easy to chain the top and bottom rails, but Mastercam still uses the green "Branch" lines to help the tool transition...

Outlook3.jpg

Outlook4.jpg

5. Sample File was fixed by Colin:

Good Swarf 5 Axis

jm2c

5 axis toolpaths take a lot of head scratching and trying different toolpaths until you get one that works best; continue head scratching and modifying until you get the perfect 5 axis toolpath. I'm working on a couple 5 axis toolpaths for trimming out a large composite part. I just had a Tony moment when it came out the way I wanted to!

Tony see this is where I have my biggest complaints about swarf. 20 hoops to make a good toolpath. Trim this extend that. Make sure this normal is that way. Make a curve 5 axis. Draw your Vectors and done. The advanced Swarf one is a lot better than the old one, but I will take Curve 5 axis over both any day of the week.

Colin great job!!! cheers.gifcheers.gif