Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Unnecessary Movements on toolpaths

Jon @ NOWHERE

I've created several finish flowline toolpaths but it appears that mastercam is putting in unnecessary movements in the toolpath like retracting in one area and plunging in on another on the same surface all I want it to do is move back and forth as it goes down and dont leave the surface until it finishes that surface. How can I prevent mastercam from doing this so I don't have to spend a day editing the program to remove all these extra movements? banghead.gif

Using X3

See Pics for example

Full toolpath view:

fullpathview.jpg

Upclose toolpath view:

upcloseview.jpg

quote:

I am not familiar with the blend toolpath or the horizontal area.

Horizontal Area will find the flat areas and cut only those areas without you having to create all the different boundaries to contain it to those areas. Sounds like it won't work since you don't have any horizontal areas.

In a blend toolpath, rather than selecting a closed chain, you select open 2 chains. The toolpath will cut back and forth on the surface from chain to chain (kinda like a surface parallel toolpath). This is a great toolpath!

Check out Help or the sample files to see some examples of how these toolpaths can be used.

Thad

In the past with different toolpaths I have made the gap setting large and set my linking to follow surface. The gap setting by default is 300% of stepdown. I will often set it by distance instead of a percentage of stepdown. If its made larger it tend to keep the tool down and have less retracts.

Why it's not showing a drive surface, I am not sure.

I have seen this in X3 on occasion where drive and check surfaces while different get lumped together in either check or drive geometry.

When it comes to undercut I just find that Surface Finish Contour works better. Other people may feel differently and use Flow line for that. I usually do not.

Ok it lumped the drive in there with the check surfaces. I went in there and selected the outer wall as the drive and then it created the toolpath. I noticed that it was larger than the flowline but noticed that it was slightly faster. It still has an area where it leaves the surface and engages elsewhere, but no where near as bad as the flowline. But I have discovered the toolpath editor today and figured out how to use it to remove all the excess moves.