Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Vaccum Plate

JOVATO8

Hello Everyone!

We need to machine prototypes from a small 304 SS stainless sheet.The part is a small TEARDROP shaped with 2 holes in it.Machining protoypes from ss or aluminum sheet is becoming a regular thing with a certain customer.But does not warrant buying a punch press.

We have a vaccum plate with rows & rows of holes in it to hold the sheet with.

Problem is, I know nothing on how to use a vaccum plate.

Will we lose vaccum when we drill thru it?

Will coolant get sucked into the pump?

Is there a site to go to or book I can get to learn more?

Better yet, can someone on this FORUM help me

out?

THANKS

Joe

Look at IBAG North America

They make vacuum fixtures and a unique system called Vac-Mat

Here is there address:

IBAG North America

Div of Burmco, Inc.

80 Republic Drive

North Haven, CT 06473

203-407-0397

Fax 203-407-0516

e-mail [email protected]

This is the last address I had for them.

You might do a search for them on the net

Finecut

cool.gif

I've done a little vacumn chuck work cutting

12 round discs out of 1/4 plastic sheet.

My customer bought special rubber sheets from the vacumn chuck manufacturer.

The chuck had horizontal slots every cenitmeter.

In Mastercam I created a 1cm grid pattern of 1/8 holes.

Then I overlayed the parts and tool paths over the grid pattern and deleted every hole that would be uncovered by a machining operation.

I've saved the file and put it on cadcam's FTP

site as masking plate.mc8 if you want to check it out.

Even doing this coolant does get under the material and get sucked into the vacumn pump.

The system must have a collection tank and drain valve between the chuck and the pump.

I have serious doubts that a vacumn chuck approach

will work with a small 304SS part. The cutting forces are high and the surface area is low.

JOVATO8, when createing a vacume plate fixture you do need to take in thoughts of were you are going to drill and pocket.

you do not want to drill or pocket thru the part on the inner side of the vacume boundry.

you will loose vacume and the part.

As for the coolent in the pump we put a chamber in front of the pump to catch the coolant so it does not hurt the pump.

hope this helps more on your questions.

Jovato,

I have created many vacumn fixtures to run large wing skins and panels. If Jay's and others help dont lead you to solution, e-mail me and will try to help. But I have same concern as other on post about surface area. Also, consider drilling holes as secondary operatin. This will simplify ur fixture.

Another thought.

I ran job once cutting miniture parts, about 1" x 2", from 1/8 alum oversize stock. We vacumn entire sheet down and with 1/8" carb emill contour about 100 parts on sheet staying .020 from floor. Then send sheet to blanchard grind house where they grind bottom of plate, and parts fall right off. We did lose some from tool breaking thru, so make sure clamp at corners.

cadcam,gcode,Finecut,TheePres,and everyone else who has and will be so good as to help me out with links and info.I want to thank all of you.I will certainly follow all leads and greatly appreciate it all.

I am rarely in on any topic,but do read message board often and respect all the knowledge and expertise on this forum.

Thanks

Joe

I had some small plastic pieces to manufacture. Drilled holes and a contour. If the cost of the Vaccuum is too high, consider drilling the holes first bolting thru them, then contour out the shapes. An overzellous operator will marr the surface under the screwhead so give'm a slap ahead of time.