Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Helix bore improvement.

kunfuzed

• 2 weeks later...

I use helix bore all the time. The confusing part is that they designed this cycle around a line of tools that many of us have never heard of, which require that the finish pass comes out of the hole, rather than into it. I use this with "peckerhead" endmills, which are simply a regular 3 or 4 flute carbide endmill relieved by about .010-.020" so that only about 30-50% of the diameter of flutes remain at the end. I also like to put a small radius on each corner for a longer lasting tool. The relief keeps the tool from rubbing, which prevents tapered holes.

To make Helix bore work right, just uncheck the box for "finish passes" and do 2 "roughing" passes about .0002-.0005" apart. The tool will then only spiral INTO the hole. Check "Perpendicular entry" so your radius comp will work correctly and use a 45 degree entry/exit arc sweep for a smooth blend in and out. If you use the "peckerhead" tools, you won't have to make a complete pass around at the bottom of the hole. I usually set the "rough pitch" to about 20-50% of the tool's "head" length, depending on the material and the rough stock amount. For small holes, I check the "start at center" box. I had a whole bunch of these endmills made for different size holes and they work great. I can bore holes down to about .120" dia. at up to 5X depth and control hole size to less than .0001", consistently, from hole to hole, without playing "reamer roulette" on expensive parts.

We are interested in helix boring for bushing holes and dowel holes from 3mm to 50mm or so. Is there a place to buy "peckerhead" mills? I am afraid to look for them on internet because i may get my pp slapped for it. Is there another name for them or a company? I reread the post above and see you are making them, relieving them yourself.

quote:

The confusing part is that they designed this cycle around a line of tools that many of us have never heard of, which require that the finish pass comes out of the hole

I wrote this up as a bug during the X3 beta cycle.

Got a bug number and everything..

Maybe they need to add a switch to control

the finish pass is top to bottom

or

bottom to top

I have never heard of "peckerhead" endmills and as previously mentioned, googling

"peckerhead" would probably return some

undesireable results biggrin.gif