Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cutting Polycarbonate

cqualls

I'm going to be cutting some 3/4" thick Bullet Resistant Polycarbonate. I need to maintain a good finish on this then be able to polish it back to clear see through finish.

The cuts will be 3D Surfaces probably with 1/4" and 1/8" EMs.

Any suggestions for style and/or brand of endmills.

What will I need to polish the cut surfaces to get it back to a clear see through cover.

This is going to be an oil pump cover that we are going to set up with a strobe and camera so we can film what is actually going on with the oil flow. So the cover needs to be clear as glass when its done.

Thanks

I assume also that you're starting with optically transparent polycarbonate as opposed to the regular, "blue" opaque stuff. We do a TON of polycarbonate work here at WSU. We use a variety of different tool brands. I believe the ones we use for surfacing are T&O, TTC, M.A. Ford, or Garr. That's just off the top of my head.

Here at "The WSU" rolleyes.gif we have a customer that makes windows for the A380 among other windows and I saw this thread and then got a call from one of their engineers so I asked him about polishing pollycarbonate. The windows we make coupons with are acrylic and the engineer said you can't really polish pollycarbonate very well. When necessary they bond or melt together Acrylic outside and pollycarbonate inside for strength. They supply us with Alox for polishing, it's a very fine white powder/water mix. I know you can flame polish but it's trickey, an oven might be better. I've also heard of vapor polish but I don't know if it's MEK vapor (like Plexi glue) or what but if someone knows I'd like to know too.

quote:

I've also heard of vapor polish but I don't know if it's MEK vapor (like Plexi glue) or what but if someone knows I'd like to know too.

I would highly recommend vapor polishing. One place that I worked in the past would "vapor polish" polycarbonate with excellent results. It's quick and easy. Just do a google search for "vapor polishing" to find the chemicals and processes involved.

vapor polishing or chemical ploishing is the only way to go IMHO. bear in mind that ALL polishing operations are very much dependant on the surface finish left by the cutting operations, but especially so when using vapor/chemical polishing. If you leave cutter marks on the part and just have it vapor polished you will have perfectly clear cutter marks wink.gif

FYI this is who I use.

Linky