Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

.020 deep 45 degree slots- plastic

mike561h

I ran my second setup peice out of pomalux industrial grade plastic you can buy atMcmastercarr. Everything is okay until I cut the fricking .020 deep slots confused.gif with a new 1/8 45 degree carbide endmill 2 flute. The slots look like there is no V at the bottom. I have a TM-1 and max RPM is 4000.

Is this RPM the problem. I run at 10 IPM and went down tto 5 on cleanup. Or do I need to grind a 1/8 spade much like a engraving tool wioth a sharp point at 45 degrees. mad.gif

quote:

Mayby tipping the part at 45. then running a standard e-mill through it might get it

That would be my suggestion. Something like a sin vise or angle blocks should do the trick. Believe it or not the bigger and sharper endmill you use the better it will work.

HTH

Josh

a two flute going that shallow of depth is only going to "push" the material. too big of a web right at center of cutter. you would get away with it if the material was wood, but not plastic.

if you have to use your current set up, i would switch tooling to a single flute engraving type cutter with at least a .005 tip land.