Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Endmill preference

I am going to be using an 1/8" endmill to do some groove work on a shaft. Total depth is an 1/8th inch. Material will be 4140 PHT and will be on a rotary on a Haas VF6. I'm leaning towards an endmill with a corner radius then a finisher. Does anyone have any input on a good tool selection. There is about 50" of groove on this parts when laid out flat so I need somethign that holds up as long as possible.

Destiny Raptor DVH. I use these all the time. They are the best endmills I have ever used. Rough & finish with the same tool. They come with or without corner radii. 1/8" is the smallest size they make. I use these all the time in SST and P20. I needed an endmill for prototype work that wouldn't blow up in the middle of a part. I tried these a few years ago and like them better than anything I've tried. Way cheaper than SGS Z-carb too. Their website: http://www.destinytool.com/

Thanks for all of the input we are current trying a Seco carbide endmill. The main reason is because when I was calling around for quotes the Seco guy came right down to the shop. I called MSC about the hannita varimills but they never got back to me. The Seco endmill we are using is made by Jarbo and is a HPM-JHP950-MEGA-64. It was working pretty well at 7500 rpms .06 doc and 18 ipm. Its a 3mm endmill. Only problem is that we blew the spindle bearings in our haas. Didn't sound good when it locked up instantly at 7500 rpm. We have had terrible luck witht his machine. 2 motherboards this is the second spindle, and had to have the toolchanger replaced because the rollers on the back of the holders in the turret came loose and scraped a huge groove in the housing. This machine is only a year and a half old. They told me that this is the same spindle that they use in the 10,000 rpm machines so they don't know why its blowing.

SGS Z carbs are great and cheap. The Jabro cutters are awesome too and their support can't be beat. If I get in a pinch and can't find a set up that I'm happy with, I just send them a solid model of my part and they send me a cutter with more info than I know what to do with complete with suggestions on how best to program the part.