Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Move WCS or move geometry

ckwhite

I have a part that will be ran in 4 fixtures. 1 fixture on each side of a tombstone doing 1/4 of the work. In your opinion is it better to copy the model to 4 positions around a tombstone or could/should I move the WCS for each toolpath. The only reason I would like to move the WCS is so I can see the progression of the part in verify.

Hopefully I have explained what I mean.

Thanks in advance,

Here's what I would do:

Go through and program all 4 ops on the same model using WCS so that you can follow the progress in verify. When you're satisfied, copy ALL of those operations to a new group, and break them up into your 4 ops. Transform>Rotate your toolpaths for the second op over to the next face, transform your paths for the 3rd op over to the face after that, etc. This is the only easy way you'll get the B axis moves to post correctly.

To have the post output the proper angle, you need to keep the WCS at the center of your tombstone, and only change the tool plane to define the different side you are machining. The post will look at the angle difference between the WCS and the toolplane to see if it needs to rotate your B axis. If both planes are the same it will always stay at B0.

HTH

If you are doing different operations on every side, it would be easier to position every part, IMO. PLus it will be easier if you want to setup a work origin for each side.

Otherwise you might have to messed up with a lot of different planes in order to get your B value to come out properly.

I don't say it is impossible but it is going to be a lot of work.

HTH

Andre is correct. As for the WCS, top is normally the top of the tombstone. Set the WCS to top and never change it. I will add that you can use a different work offset for each side of the tombstone by setting them in the WCS view manager window for each view(side of tombstone)that you will be using. Just set the proper c/t plane before you start each tool path. This way when you call up c/t plane front, left, right, and back it will output the B index command and G54 thru G57 work offets.

If you do it the way I mentioned above you can tool path everthing from one part model. You don't have to copy the model to the other 3 sides of the tombstone. It will look funny in backplot/verify, but the code will be correct since the coordinates are coming from different work offsets (assuming you set the origin to some feature on the part for each side).

Scott,

I do all my Horizontal programming looking at the part from the spindle's perspective (Z) as if it were vertical. This is how my dealer set me up.

I would like to only have 1 fixture offset to simplify setup. If I were to use more offsets, are you suggesting that I move the B axis and set B0 for each offset? I think that would work just more setup time.

Joe,

The example isn't exactly what I am doing, but each position will have multiple B moves.

THIS PART WOULD BE SO MUCH EASIER WITH A 5 AXIS MACHINE... banghead.gif

I have never programed more then 3 axis machine.

But my understanding is that you would use WCS to set the part/fixture zero point and alignment. Then you would use planes to drive the B axis. The planes would all be relative to the WCS and not the world co-ordinate.

WCS does not change any axis in the program, it just moves the programing zero point.

quote:

So I gather that it is a bad idea or is very difficult to move the WCS for each side of the part and still get the correct B axis move.

I always use a seperate WCS for each side of the tombstone. If I have different angles on each side I use the same WCS with Tool Plane and Construction Plane normal to the cut so the angle output is correct.

Each side of the tombstone will start with a B0 but I believe all you have to do is put a B value in your fixture offset for each side of the tombstone, i.e. g54=B0, G55=B90, G56=B180, and G57=B270.

I do aerospace parts and learned long ago to keep the part in the original airplane coordinates and set origin and oriention with the WCS.

HTH

No-one has mentioned "Transform" by rotation

and incrementing the work offset number( by +1 more that was used on the original ) around a point. The model can be copied around this point as a reference check if you so desire.

Program the part once using 1 model (WCS=TOP, C/T Planes=FRONT [+left and right if used]) , and then the transform the paths, any mods done on the original will be updated to the transformed paths