Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

STL to a solid. Possible?

Patriot

Hey, I'm new here and have already learned quite a bit from you all. Here's something i've been wanting to know how to do, or if it's even possible..

Using X2 MR2:

After I verify a position for a part, I know how to save the stl file and use it in other position's verify, but can I save that STL file, or product from the verify, as a solid to import/merge back into the program i'm working on? I would be able to see some fixtures a little more accurately or just the part as a stock for the next position.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, i have noticed that when i installed the verisurf add on tools (hole axis, etc.) it takes over and gerys out the Stl options of mastercam. I had a training class with Verisurf last week and the instructor told me that when you install Verisurf, it removes certain files from your mastercam installation that might interfere with verisurf, like for instance, i lost my mastercam art after i installed verisurf. So long story short, if you have verisurf add ons installed, uninstall them and you should get back your STL options, that is what worked for me. smile.gif

Harold well that is not really the case. We just handle STL files differently than Mastercam does.

Here is what I put on our Forum.

With the introduction of our Add-on for Mastercam X you will find that you can not bring STL's into Mastercam if you are using Mastercam for programming. Anyone who uses Verisurf only, this is something you are familiar with in V9 where you imported STL's. In version X when using Verisurf Add-ons for Mastercam, STL's are now brought in differently. This will show you how to import them into Mastercam STL entity.

You will need to go to the reverse tab in the operations manager. In the top right corner is the Open or Import data Cloud button(1st Picture). This can bring in 4 different types of data(2nd Picture).

ReverseSTLCall.png

VerisurfSTLImport.png

Now if you want an STL to be inside of the Mastercam you need to export to CAD. To do this you need to right click on the STL in the Reverse operations Manager. You will then click on the STL mesh to export it to CAD.(3rd Picture)

VerisurfSTLtoCAD.png

Now you have a STL that will work inside of Mastercam if you have a need for it.

Yes we realize this is not the direct bring it from Mastercam, but with all the free tools we give you with this free add-on we hope this would not be a problem and the added step would not prevent people from using these helpful tools.

HTH

Hey Ron, thanks for the info, but i dont use verisurf myself, we have it on our inspection computers, but i did install it for the training class and that is how i found out about the stl thing. i know you can take an stl and do that conversion and export thing, but what i was speaking of was just trying to open an stl on a mastercam system with the verisurf add on (HOLE AXIS) installed, you will always get the grayed out option, or is that not correct? Doesnt the verisurf overide the new mastercam stl mesh abilities? i would assume it thinking why would you want to do that if you have verisurf?

Harold no we do not over write or change the Mastercam mesh. If you do not check the install reverse when doing the install of the add-on then you should not see STL grey out once Verisurf add-on is installed.

Ted I will have to check and see what is going on. There are certain functions if reverse is installed you will need codes for, but I understand it to be that is not one of them. I will let you know.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

Without Verisurf Reverse installed, to use the STL option button in X3 you must select an STL file first.

In X2 without Verisurf Reverse installed you can only read in an STL file as Lines.

With Verisurf Reverse installed there is no need for this option, you read in STL files using the Mastercam File Open menu and select an STL file, the STL Mesh will come into the Reverse Operation tree, you can select the STL mesh and using the right mouse button, Export to CAD.

Using the Mastercam File Open menu to read in an STL file is the Verisurf free STL viewer for X2 - X4; most all of the Reverse tools is an optional add-on product, you can view, save, and Export to CAD for free, other tools require access codes. The Reverse tools should have a 30-day evaluation button. If this is not working let me know? and we will send you codes.

Regards

Ernie

• 11 months later...

Thanks Ernie! that was pretty helpful. So now I can view the STL file as if it were a solid... Am I able to make it a solid or surfaces without needing a code for more verisurf features?

Basically what I'm doing is programming a 4-axis part and installing a fixture after a few operations. I just want to take the STL file from the part, and add it to the fixture to run the rest of the part(To check tooling clearance). So I was thinking if i could get the STL back in as a solid, Boolean Add it to the fixture, save as STL, then continue on with the rest of the part..

Any suggestions? headscratch.gif