Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

economical drill for stainless

HEAVY METAL

Good old cobalt at about 32 sfm will drill that all day long and only cost you the extra running time expensive drills make up. So does the extra cost of the drills make up for running the job faster. Do not forget my 2 for 1 rule in manufacturing though. My rule is that for ever minute you save you really gain 2 minutes. So as long as the expensive drills cost more than what you would make it saved time then go with the old stand by.

325 sfm .003 to .005 per rev with a premium carbide drills would not be out of the question in my mind on the bigger sizes. 325 sfm .0015 to .0025 on the smallest drill sizes. 10 times faster on the SFM is what I am thinking so now you have to ask yourself what is your time worth???

HTH

I have used Guhring Firex [they have some "super" Firex now] HSCO parabolic drills in stainless with external coolant [F5522 or something like that] with pretty good success but SFM is low. The Guhring hi-performance solid carbide drills [like a 1702] kick some serious a$$. I think 300 SFM is definitely real, but Ron's feedrate numbers are low; I would think you're looking at .008 or .010 IPR with the right drill. We have actually done this in 17-4PH in production, so these aren't some BS catalog numbers I am quoting here.

It will cost you some $$ up front, but the dividends in time are significant