Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X4 Dislikes

rsbeadle

I am very unhappy with the new tree format for 2d contours and drills. I have to navigate through several pages to do what I used to do on 2 pages (tool, cut parameters, linking parameters, lead in lead out, coolant(very stupid), depth cuts, and path type). I also had to check the X3 fillet style right away as several fillets would not create in X4. X4 looks like they are trying to "dumb it down", but experienced users are stuck with extra mouse clicks. Just my 2 cents.

That was my initial impression, but after using it for a couple of months I like it.

If you count the number of cliks required to get

something done, you'll find they are the same or less than the old style.

It takes to time to get used to using the quick summary window on the lower left, but it can tell you at a glance if you have coolant or tip comp on.

I do have one complaint.. I'd like to be able to drag the whole page longer and wider so I can]access everyting without scrolling

quote:

I'd like to be able to drag the whole page longer and wider so I can]access everyting without scrolling

Please!

In remachining, whats with that little window showing the previous operations? Is it just a picture of the Operations Manager with unnamed operations in it? I couldn't click anything in it, besides the fact it didnt represent any of my operations. rolleyes.gif

I don't really care for it, but I'm sure that I will get used to it. I did suggest that the planes field be moved towards the top of the tree. Since it affects the linking parameters values it should be before, not after it. Another observation, probably a minor bug, if I set the lead in/out values, set other things, and then go back to the lead in/out field, all of the values reset to defaults.

I like the new tree format compared to the old style. The old style felt like a lot of clutter with check boxes and tap menus. For new users it is really great that the pictures in the menu interact with some of your choices, like Lead in/Lead out and like entry on pockets.

I do find it comical that if you go to the toolpath drop down menu there is a contour and a pocket icon, when you do end up in the same tree menu (it is the same with drill and circle mill). There is some bugs in X4 that suddenly need to be fixed, but I am not considering going back to X3 that is for sure.

Cory R., that issue is most likely a easy fix and you never see that again. Contact your reseller and let that maintenance fee do some work for you :-)

quote:

and then go back to the lead in/out field, all of the values reset to defaults.

Someone mentioned this this morning in a Tech call, I can not reproduce it.

My settings stick.

Are you using an OP defaults file from a previous version that you updated or an X4 defaults file that you edited?

"Are you using an OP defaults file from a previous version that you updated or an X4 defaults file that you edited?"

Yes, I am using an updated op defaults file. This leads directly into another thing that I have had happen. I use 2 posts for 95% of my programming, I had things pretty well configured for my tastes, and thought that I had migrated both successfully. Last week, I try to select the post that I use for my horizontals, and get a "no valid axis combination" error, and it will not load. Somehow, my machine definition file got blown away. I managed to re migrate from X3 which I still have loaded(just in case) But things are just not quite right. Settings that I have in the op defaults file (coolant settings for example) aren't in the toolpath settings. If I start in X3, go far enough to load a machine type and then reopen in X4 everything works fine. You know that I won't do that garbage for very long. I also get a LOT of crashes in X4 that I never got before, things like selecting lead in/out, or tip comp.

quote:

I also get a LOT of crashes in X4 that I never got before, things like selecting lead in/out, or tip comp.

on some of that try turning Hardware acceleration down/off.

A good deal of crashes have been "path" related.

Do yourself a favor and go back through your config and make certain of of your data paths are correct.

I was pretty thorough looking at paths. I will try turning down Hardware acceleration. I am also thinking of dumping my old default files and editing new ones, it's just the time it would take. I have little enough free time as it is, hardly even time to come to Emastercam's excellent forum.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I also like the new tree style toolpaths. Often I use the same geometry to do different tasks so being able to copy the toolpath, change the style and tool is easier than having to reselect all the geometry especially if it was a difficult selection process to begin with. I've been asking for this since they first intruduced the tree. I wish it covered ALL of the toolpaths. BUt it's a good start IMHO.

I don;t know how many fewer clicks I make but I will say since I have been using X4, the battery in my mouse seems to last about 15% longer than in the past.

quote:

Often I use the same geometry to do different tasks so being able to copy the toolpath, change the style and tool is easier than having to reselect all the geometry especially if it was a difficult selection process to begin with.

I am using X3 and copy geometry from one op to another all the time. I must be missing something here so can you post a screen shot of this new tree please? Right now I am a bit worried about going to X4 until I learn a little more.

Thanks.

quote:

can you post a screen shot of this new tree please

If you are using X3, you already have the

Tree style interface in 2D and 3D high speed

toolpaths

X4 upgrades the old legacy 2D toolpaths to the tree style. I'm guessing 3D legacy toolpaths will be migrated with X4 MU1 or X5