Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Helix Bore vs Ramp Toolpath

JAMES GABEL

I have been programming holes with ramp toolpath for a long time now and have been trying helix bore lately. I am having a problem with cutter comp. with helix bore. I have to bring the size in by reposting.

I like helix bore because it gives you a flat bottom, ramp has to even to give a flat bottom. I do not like to have to calculate the ramp to make it give a flat bottom.

Does anyone know why I am having a problem with cutter comp on helix bore?

Your bore size may be off, depending on your geometry selection techique. If you pick the center point, you have to enter a diameter in the toolpath parameters page.

If you select "entity" and select the arc or circle that defines the bore, Mastercam sets the diameter for you. You can then adjust the size with the "x/y stock to leave" dialogue box.

Good Luck!

On ramp I do have the make pass at final depth checked, but it does not give a flat bottom. You have to make it so the ramp depth per rotation can divide evenly in the distance from the top of stock to the final depth. That is the only way it gives you a flat bottom with ramp.

I hope I have been doing something wrong for all this time. I feel stupid asking a question on something as easy as a contour toolpath.

I am also using wear for my cutter comp.

It is the simple little things that give you a headache sometimes.