Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Training Doc on MC posts

Code_Breaker

I am putting together information to teach my Advance Mastercam class at NTMA this Sat on MC posts introduction ... does anyone have a documention that is already put together for instructing one class ... about 3-4 hrs?

I am in the process of doing this, but it someone has already done this, it would be great ...

Need to be really simple ... it is not a class of writing a post, but simple getting the students aware of the operation of a post, some simple modifications, etc.

Thanks

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron, check e-mail ...

Is there no that taught a class on what a post does, editing or modifying existing posts, use of formulas, debugging, etc ... this class is an introductory class for novice ... don't have to have a lot of details ... that they can get from the CD's on post development or inquire here on eMastercam ...

thanks

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Code,

You SHOULD have ALL of that info. I developed it FOR NTMA at NTMA expense. If they lost it... well. I kinda don't feel sorry for them. I had hand outs. Sample posts to start from, usual edits, creating postblocks, etc...

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Oh, and it was on no less than 2 computers in Ontario. The instructor's Computer in the upstairs lab AND the instructor's computer downstairs in the instructors office.

I (along with Henri, Rob and Carlos)developed a FULL Curriculum for the Advanced Mastercam class. Solids, surfacing, toolpaths, Posts, etc...

Many of you (CNC Apps Guy 1 and others) seem to be very well educated in the posting/programming language issues. I am only a begginer and tend to muddle through post editing. I do not fully understand how it works and it seems very complicated.

Buffer, reading parameters, nci, etc....

I have not taken computer programming, but it appears to be necessary to fully understand this aspect of Mastercam. I don't have the luxury of working with someone who has this knowledge and experience. I am the "go to guy" at my place. Yet, I have very much to learn.

Question:

How have you done it? What's the best way to learn the in's and out's of post processors, how to tweak things and write things? Basically, how does it all work?

There's many things I am determined to learn.

Multi-axis, mill-turn, etc....

How do I gain the knowledge that some of you have attained?

Thanks in advance!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

When I taught it (this was back in the V9 and previous days), I started with the basics.

Rule #1 ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR POST

Rule #2 Make 1 CHANGE AT A TIME

Rule #3 ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR POST

Rule #4 When in doubt ALWAYS refer to Rules #1, #2 and #3.

Open up the post. Read the information. See how the information is laid out. See what/if any Misc. Int/Misc. Reals are used. What are they for. After that, definitions (what is a post block, what is a switch, what is a statement, etc...)

Next, I went over the switches. Then, formatting. Then where all the codes are (M and G). HOw they are assigned, called, etc...

After that I went to the different sections in the post. pheader, ptlchg_com, pretract, ptlchg_0, peof, etc...

Then after all that, then I went over how to make the most common changes. Line numbers/No Line NUmbers. Line numbers that match tool numbers. Turning coolant on and off certain ways, etc...

I usually spent about 2-3 sessions on it. Out of ALL of the Advanced Mastercam Sessions I taught, I would say roughly 1% of the students "got it". The rest, their eyes glazed over after the 2nd night. It's was not that they were incapable, it's that people think it's "sexy" to work on posts. The fact of the matter is, it can be very involved depending on what you want to do. They thought it was some easy thing that they were going to be able to add to their resume. I don't even add that I can write posts on my resume.

Approach post writing with respect, perserverence, and you'll be on the right path. Treat it like it's easy and anyone can do it, and it'll bite you. It'll bit you hard and if you're lucky, you won't need to call service for your machine.

Teaching it in the VX era, would require a trip to the Machine and Control Definitions and how the two interact.

quote:

How do I gain the knowledge that some of you have attained?

Seat Time! Plain and simple. Even if you sat down with a top guy for a year. You would would be way further along than you would have been otherwise, it's still yearS to learn a lot of this stuff. A lot of it is trial and error I hate to say. There are sooooooooooo many variables to machining a part that there is just no substitute for experience.

A n00b asked me how I would machine a particular part yesterday. I asked him some questions about it. Tok a field trip to the machine, looked at the setup (on a Nikken 5 Axis rotary table). Then proceeded to do all the mind work for him. He was a deer in the headlights. He wanted to make in like 6 setups, this and that. I said look. In order to gain the respect of the shop floor guys you're going to have to make their jobs EASIER. I proposed a 2 setup option for him using a Raptor Vise mounted to their rotary table. OP01 is a dovetail. Op 2 does the rest of the part complete leaving a small tab to break off and blend afterwards. No amount of shadowing prepared him for what I just explained to him. Experience plain and simple.

The moral of the story, don't take any short cuts. If you're going to learn something, LEARN it. Don't burn bridges. Learn who the smart guys are. Ask questions. Don't think you know everything. If there's one thing I learn every day is that there is more to learn tomorrow. Even well seasoned "old salts" don't know everything. Then know more than you or I do, but they just have more time in. More wisdom.

JM2C and HTH

[ 08-20-2009, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: CNC Apps Guy 1 ]

Fantastic advice, truly appreciated!

I was hoping you would just send me one of those tapes I could listen to while I sleep and it would all just "sink in". biggrin.gif

quote:

If there's one thing I learn every day is that there is more to learn tomorrow.

100000000% true!

Thanks! cheers.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...They have nothing ...

What a bunch of maroons.

I'll see if I saved any of it when I get home later today. I may not have it. I remember doing all of the work there though.

One thing I will add to James' list, is to get a good compare program. I use Exam Diff.

Then, when you make the change, you can compare, and see the REAL changes to the gcode that were made.

I am using it now, with buffers, to reorder tool list and pull G10's from my view matrix,including B axis positions to be listed below the tool list. Really saves the sanity when you see the EXACT changes made to the gcode.

quote:

All that work we did for them James, And they just lost it!!!

OR ... they don't believe in sharing ... I did make copies of files from their computers, but nothing is coherant ... I sifted thru and found that most stuff is "personal" stuff ... none of the instructors uses the tutorials ... I do because 98% of the students are NOT programmers, but "wantabes" ... "If they don't use it, they will loose it." So, by using the book, and supplementing the lessons, the studants have a point of reference to refer to WHEN they start to really program.

I believe it is one thing to KNOW what to do, and another thing to KNOW where to find the answers.

Anyway, the Advance students all, I mean ALL, said they were disappointed the the previous instructors ... I am working with the NEW manager to bring back quality instructions and material.

Time will tell ... biggrin.gif

James and I both taught the advance class, Hell we sarted the advance class in Ontario. We made handouts, projects and test. We went from 3d modeling and toolpaths to multiaxis and post editing. We also covered c-axis lathe, tell me what instructor teaches those things!!!

Point is, we had a great program set up and it's a shame that all of it is gone.

I'm sure all of my files are toast up there, Although my handout should still be around. Check the bottom closet, or with Norwalk. I taught all of the instructors at both facilities how to teach X. Somebody must have a copy of that course handout.

I agree most of the instructors there are not worth a damn, and are giving the students a horrible learning experience. It sounds like you want to put in the effort to make this a good class. cheers.gif too you!!

Good luck, I would love to see what you come up with. If you need any advice with putting together a good curriculum, send me a email.

Peace

I will check thru my backups of the docs I kept from the NH NTMA.I have tons of the files.

I know I got some from the other NTMA's

Rob, James have they contacted you lately. I just got a check from them.

( tell me what instructor teaches those things!!!)ME ME ME!!!

( I taught all of the instructors at both facilities how to teach X.) Rob now wasn,t that fun. I remember when we went thru that.

I did find some files under the folder "robstuff" and "James Post Work"

Under robstuff there were two files:

1 surface wireframerpd.mc8

pocketblock.mc8

under James Post Work one file:

Post_Work.mc8

So, not everything was lost ...

James, Rob, and Jay, I will take anything you can offer ... hate reinventing the wheel ...

frown.gif

Thanks

cheers.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

David Nissen was one of the original instructors at Ontario under the first management group. Garth (AWESOME manager was the Facilities Administrator) After Garth left, one of the Counselor goons took over. Guy had no stones. I basically told the Director (Irv) what was going on, how he was a lousy Administrator had no communication skills etc... He shoudl have fired me. Heck, I would have fired me but I was testing him. He failed miserably. We outpasted that guy.

Henry was the first Instructor, He was the lead instructor. As far as Mastercam goes, David or I was 2nd there and Rob was shortly thereafter. After I left Henry and Rob were left holding down the fort.

I'll look today for the stuff.