Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

tool radius

belearner

Hi all.

I'm using a 1.000 dia endmill on a circle toolpath to cut an island .700 dia with .150 depth.

Then i replaced with another tool 1.000 dia with .250 corner radius, island came out with bigger dia. Wonder if Mastercam know radius of tool, so it can caculate it out.

Need some explain. Thanks.

Unfortunately, MC doesn't calculate toolpaths based on actual cutting diameter when the final depth is less than the tool corner radius. I think it should and I argued with James (CNC Apps Guy) 7 years ago about this. biggrin.gif James is still wrong. tongue.gif MC is still calculating the toolpath based on a 1" dia cutter, which is why your boss is too big.

You have to use a 3D toolpath to get the boss the correct size if you want to use that tool.

Thad

quote:

all my ribtops were undercut

3D contour drives from the C/L of the tool and has no idea what the corner of the tool is doing. You'll need to use a 3D surfacing toolpaths of some kind. The Flowline/rib toolpath is a good choice for this kind of cut.

a couple more thoughts:

toolpaths that involve chaining drive c/l or tip of tool along the chain perpendicular to it and only maintin "tangency" parallel to it via diameter comp. As gcode says if you need 3D tangency use a surface or wireframe toolpath.

In 2D all tools comp to their effective cut diameter. The only tool type that supports different OD and effective cut is face mill.

I just got back in to MC from a little break and trying to remember the do's and don'ts of the software. After a little thought I do remember spending time in version 6 backplotting and saving geo to get the right comp on a toolpath....I would think that MC would be able to look at the corner rad by now.... In V5 I can drive an swarfed edge with a chamfer tool a face and a curve and still maintain tangency....just for a little comparison smile.gif

PS. Rick you must work with Jim Gardner and Collin G.

Thanks Guys!

Well Mike your right I was use a 2D toolpath to a 3D toolpath. I ended up using wirefram, surface and cure 5-axis to cut the ribtops like you said. It would be nice to have more fuctionality in contour when selecting (contour type)3D . If you could drive a contour by selecting a curve ( regardless of the plane that is lays on) and a surface to drive up a ribtop At a 0,0,1 toolaxis and to corner stays tangent to the surface that would be swell. I know curve 5-axis is very close. Apt you can say tool on a curve part surface ( any surface ) and drive up that surface and maintain tangency. I don't know anything older the APT and NCL. " Cave Painting W/ endless functionality just no modeling or anything else." All in All it would be nice to have a option to select contour 3D and have a window for surface to pop up to select a surface.

Jamey

Hi Jamie,

I've been busy, sorry I haven't gotten in contact yet. We should sit down for a beer some night and I'll show you some of the tools that are available in Mastercam to get your job done. I'd like to ask you a few questions about V5 too while we are at it. What is your work schedule like? I'm working 4 10's on second shift, Monday-Thursday. I get Fridays off unless I'm working OT.

There are lots of options in Mastercam now to create a good toolpath. Project, Flowline (with Rib cut), Blend, Several normal 5 axis toolpaths, and the new Advanced 5 axis toolpaths could all be useful.

Besides, I kind of owe you still...

Colin-

Hey that would be very helpfull to go over some of the new features in MC. haven't used it in the last couple of years. I am sure there are tools that I am not using or could use more efficiently. Currently i am working 7 days a week using MC UG V5 and NCL off and on for 3 companies and 80-100 hr weeks contracting. So, anyway to save time I am all ears.

P.S. I think I know what you are talking about and you don't owe me....well how about a beer wink.gif ?

Thank You,

Jamey