Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Project-Surface toolpath. Problems?

TK-32™

Hi guys, I'm have a problem using the Project-Surface Toolpath. Everything looks ok on Verify but when I run the program on the machine it does some weird stuff and cuts where it's not supposed to. On The image below you can see the part on Verify and the .500 wide detail. At some point both the roughing tool and the finishing tool do what it seems like a full circle on the G18 plane. That's when it crashes in to the part.

l_2b9f48f56bee4247948c27f9eb0d83e8.jpg

l_6d6c8631220e4b37b437e77c7c985c9f.jpg

I'm running X2 MR2 SP1. At one point I thought it was our old control's buffer. I had this same problem on an older machine but different part. That time I changed my toolpath. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I don't do much surfaces.

Thanks in advanced

code:

G3X7.3369Z-.6476I-.1134K.4207

G1X7.3351

X.5449

X.5447Y-3.0286Z-.6486

X7.3358

X7.3376

G2X7.4503Z-.6338I0.K.4354

G1Y-3.0246Z-.6349

(G18)G3X7.3384Z-.6495I-.1119K.4205

X7.3365Z-.6496I0.K.4351 (<-----here's where it makes the "full circle")

G1X.5446

X.5445Y-3.0206Z-.6506

X7.3372

X7.3391

Let's not get carried away here.

The main problem is that TK's control couldn't handle the code that was output from his Post.

All the backplotting and verifying in the world wouldn't have shown his particular error.

Cimco, Vericut, and Predator VNC could all show this error, If they were configured correctly.

That being said, I use MCM's method all the time (create surfaces and view tool gouging through the surfaces from the backside).

I was bored so cut the code and inserted it into

one of my vericut files. With the controls settings that was already in place in Vericut. It drove the circle just fine. I'm guessing the control is set up to read quadants instead of 180 circles. It looks like your cutting heat treated stainless, so I guess you are not going that fast where the buffer can't keep up. If you look at the code it's swinging about a .100 circle from I.0 TO I-.1119 which would be a 180 degree swing.

Something you might want to experiment with further is to try making arcs in the XZ and XY plane work with that control, the machine will cut some much smoother at higher speeds.

Make sure allow 360 deg arcs is UN-checked and also click on the break at 90 deg button for every plane in the control definition.

I bet that will solve the issue.

quote:

did you try backploting that area and see if it shows the gouge?

Yes I did and it looked fine.

quote:

The path at the tip of the tool will show on the surface and the tool itself will pop through the surface if it violates it.

tried that and no problems on Backplot

quote:

control couldn't handle the code that was output from his Post.

I'm leaning towards this theory.

quote:

It looks like your cutting heat treated stainless

bad cellphone picture. Aluminum

quote:

Something you might want to experiment with further is to try making arcs in the XZ and XY plane work with that control

I have and that's why I like creating arcs on those two other planes.

I'm starting to believe it might be a control issue. The roughing and finishing code was about 242KB with G18's left and right and it only did that 4 times.

Thanks for your input guys.