Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

b axis turning

latheguy1981

Has anyone been able to do any turning work with B- axis moving on a mill turn machine. I have a deep groove , front wall is straight, back wall is a 45 degree angle that the groover can not get to normal to the od(B at 90). I can rough the groove with 3 tool paths (B at 90,60, and 45), but I want to finish the groove in one motion.

I am running X4

Thanks.

This is my first post.

Since you are using a lathe tool and "turning" the groove its pretty neat, but hang with me.

Its not going to happen without a very custom post. I have done posts for 5ax grinders that change the angle of the wheel has it moves along contour, same concept.

If you have curve 5ax (mill path) then use it.

create vector lines representonting the angles you want coming off the groove contour.

(Maybe break the contour to control better twhere the changes happen)

Go into toolpaths-mill-curve5ax

select the groove as curve

select your vector lines for tilt

post the code and edit to turn instead of mill.

(Make sure your using tcp in control or you need to offset groove geo to center of rotation)

If you do not have curve5ax then make tool path.

Still create vector lines as above.

Make toolpath as normal.

Use vector lines to get angles and edit nc code with tilts.

If your just doing one part like this the above options are adequate. If you are going to do alot of parts like this give us a call and we'll get the function put into your post.

I am not sure if this applies to what you are tring to do but at my previous job we had a post mad by inhouse for our mori mt-253 where i could swing the B axis and do what I needed to do. foe example I had a part where I had to rotate B 35deg. and move Y .4 then drill 12 hole around the dia. the post I received worked perfect with no editing.

Nothing really I think it more of a lack of a standard toolpaths that could really separate Mastercam from the rest of the pack when it comes to CAM software. Look we all know Mastercam is the leader when it comes to seats sold, but when it comes to Mill/Turn machining they are coming in last place in my book. Can I get the job done yes; However when you can not harness the power of a machine using software that keeps making the claim that they are the best then where does the line get drawn? The advancement of machine tools is outpacing support and the ability to program more complex machines is being embarrassed by Mastercam's competition at a rate that I do not see Mastercam be able to obtain to unless something very major happens soon. I really see 2 axis Lathe, Router, and 3 to 5 axis milling becoming the family of products Mastercam moves solely to in the future. It is safe and requires less investment, resources and is more predictable a method in which to go in. FBM is a clear indication the play is safe direction Mastercam is headed. MMT is still not out and if we seen something in 2 years I would be very surprised.

I think it is a mistake, but also see it from a business standpoint as well. I just wonder how much time and money has been spent on MMT and there is still nothing to show us the user for it. I am not saying there is nothing going on and CNC could come out tomorrow with a full blown MMT application. Unless that where to happen I am thinking more and more that MMT is probably becoming more and more a drain on resources to the point where do they draw the line as a business?? Look we are working for someone and if that company keep putting money in a project that just never went anywhere even though you put your heart and soul into it would be stopped at some point no matter how much it was needed. There are companies out there that are good at certain things and others that shine and others that just limp by. I see MMT as that milestone CNC is just not able to cross. Not meaning that as a dig, but more as if you are good at cutting grass you might do ok at building houses, but you probably should stick to cutting grass. Milling and all things related to milling are CNC's strong point. Simple Mill/Turning is good, but Multi spindle, Syncing is just not Mastercam’s strong point. Those of us who can get it done can get it done, but is it really profitable for our companies by using Mastercam to do so or is there another product out there that can handle it better?

I know dealers and the people at CNC software do not like these comments and I am not trying to be disrespectful or degrade others work by making them. It comes down to what direction do people who do this type of work go in? Do they keep holding out hope CNC will release a viable solution for people who do this type of work or do they do what a lot of companies are doing? They are using Mastercam for their milling and using other products for their MMT programming.

As Ron says milling is their strong point and I think it simply comes down to resource.

From what I've seen although they have a massive number of seats sold they're outside the top 10 CAM companies on revenue and have a quarter of the developers someone like Dassault and Delcam have.

quote:

but is it really profitable for our companies by using Mastercam to do so or is there another product out there that can handle it better?

First question depends on what you're doing, but probably not.

Second question seems to be yes.

There are a number of systems that can do B-axis turning, not generate a 5-axis milling toolpath and hack a post to get the output but be able to specify a start and end B-orientation and generate a toolpath accordingly.

Partmaker, FeatureCAM and Esprit are all systems that have native toolpaths in place.

Not sure about EdgeCAM and GibbsCAM but maybe.

Of course all those systems could have shortcomings in other areas so it does depend on what you want to achieve and how easy (or quickly) it is for you to do it.

quote:

Of course all those systems could have shortcomings in other areas so it does depend on what you want to achieve and how easy (or quickly) it is for you to do it.

Thats for sure, Esprit is an abortion in alot

of areas. Mastercam blows it outta the water.

Both together compliment each other well.

PEACE biggrin.gif