Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

pc hardware for X4

Thoob

Hi. I currently have these pc specs.

Windows XP Pro 32bit

2GB 800 Ram

8800GT Video card

E6700 Dual Core CPU

600W PSU (forget name brand)

250GB WD 7200RPM HD

When I'm doing 3D, It takes too long for my liking for processing the toolpaths. What part of the computer will make this faster. I am guessing ram and CPU but I'd like to get a second or third opinion. Any suggestions on decent hardware for X4?

I would look at Vista 64 bit with 12 gig and a premium Nvidia Quadro Video Card using an I-7 processors. You want to see some speed look at this. My next System will be a dual I-7 Processor 64 bit Win 7 with 24 gig and 120 gig solid state drive with a 2 TB off line back up system. Probably do a dual Nvidia Quadro Card with 4 24" Monitors.

I just got an email promotion today from Dell, with 15% off any of their Precision workstations from the Dell Outlet. When I clicked the link in the email, it took me to a list of Precision T3400 units that have been refurb-ed and certified, for $1109 bucks. Granted, it's nothing like the system Ron mentioned above, but for $1109, you get a system with a Quadro FX1700 card ($500 on it's own), and XP Pro or Vista Business. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/t...s=28&l=en&s=dfb

Precision T3400

(System Identifier: EWTM8F83)

* Precision Workstation T3400 Mini-Tower: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.00GHz/1333MHz/6MB L2) 525W

* Genuine Windows XP Pro with Vista Business License

System Price : $1,109.00

Operating System

Genuine Windows XP Pro with Vista Business LicenseMemory

4 GB DDR2 ECC SDRAM 800MHz Dual Ranked (2 DIMMs)Hard Disk Drive

160 GB SATA 3.0Gb/s and 8MB DataBurst CacheVideo

Dual 512MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX 1700, Dual Monitor DVI CapableMedia Bay

16X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capabilityCertified Refurbished

Certified RefurbishedBase

Precision Workstation T3400 Mini-Tower: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.00GHz/1333MHz/6MB L2) 525WHardware Upgrade

1394 Controller Card

USB Multimedia Keyboard

Mini-Tower Chassis Configuration w/ 1394 Card

Internal Speaker

USB Optical two button mouseSoftware Upgrade

Windows Live

32BIT Operating System CD

Thanks for the replies guys. I am pretty comfortable with computers as I build lots of them for friends and family however they are always just home computers and the odd gaming computer. I realize there is different hardware for different programs, thats why I am asking here. To be blunt, I don't want a cheap home jobby nor do I want to buy a refurbished no matter how good a deal it is. I basically just want to replace a few parts ie mobo,cpu, ram, and video. I do lots of 3d models that have alot of detail to them, hence why I need something better. I came here mostly cause of the model I'm currently working on. It took me about 45 mins to process the toolpath with the above specs. This is too long and not making money. So keep the suggestions coming. Thanks guys. By the way what would you recommend for a video card?

I can't answer the solid state question but with 64bit, it allows you to use more memory. With 32 bit, you can't see more then 4GB minus video ram. So if you have 1gb of video ram, windows will only see 3GB physical ram. With 64 bit the limit is Alot more. How much more depends on a few factors. You can google max system ram for 64bit. Take note its not a number like 10 or 20 GB more, Its more like over 100GB. heres a site that has some explanations.

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx

Back to the original topic though. i have these specific items on the list. I got the approval to buy. What do you think?

Video card - FX 580 Quadro 512 GDDR3

Motherboard - MSI X58M

CPU - Intel Core i7 920 Quad

Memory - 6GB Corsair DDR3-1600

Power Supply - Corsair TX750W 750W

OS - Vista 64 Ultimate

[ 09-19-2009, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Thoob ]

Thoob, I think the specs you have listed will be more than fine for 2D work, and good for light to moderate use in 3D work (JMO). Those specs won't be too hard your wallet either. What you have listed is pretty much what I would build for myself today if were in need of a new computer. If you will be programming mostly 3D molds all day long, every day, you might want to talk the company into stepping up to an FX 3700 Quadro or higher card ($850.ish from Newegg).

I actually DO do alot of 3D. Thats the reason I was asking, lol. 2D doesn't slow me down at all with my current specs. I'm not even so much as interested in display. I am leaning more towards getting the toolpath to process faster. I don't think the graphics card plays too much a role in that does it?

You are right, the graphics card doesn't effect toolpath processing as much as the CPU and its L2 or L3 cache. I just looked at your first thread again. IMO the FX Quadro 580 probably won't do any better than your current 8800GT. We are running both those cards in our office with similar performance. If it were mine, I would skip the new video card for a while and see how it does. You can always change out the video card any time.

I have another switch up. I figured I should be asking this in a computer forum but most of those guys have no idea what Mcam is so I'm gonna ask here.

I got this drive - OCZ Vertex 120GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD

and opted to keep my 8800GT video card. Is the price difference worth the difference in speed on these drives? Most importantly, will I notice it on Mcam. I don't care about boot up times, program opening times or anything like that. Will this drive increase my processing time in Mcam? By how much?

I had it overclocked to 3.0ghz but it gets really hot in here and it didn't hold stable to well. I didn't want to bother getting aftermarket cooling and stuff either. Anyway I got the ok to buy this stuff. I will post it, however my boss told me straight out, "Make sure you get the right stuff this time" so........Will this be sufficient.

CPU - Intel Core i7 920 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.66GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 4.8GT/S

Motherboard - EVGA X58 Micro mATX LGA1366 DDR3 2PCIE-16 1PCI-E1 1PCI SLI SATA2 Sound Dual GBLAN 1394

RAM - Corsair XMS3 TR3X6G1600C9 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24 Core i7 Memory Kit

Graphics - NVIDIA Quadro FX 580 by PNY 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E16 DVI Dual DisplayPort Workstation Video Card

Power Supply - Corsair TX850W 850W CMPSU-850TX 12V 70A 24PIN ATX Active PFC 140M Fan Power Supply

Harddrive(err I mean Flash Drive) - OCZ Vertex 120GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...