Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drilling Splines (no arc center) and why Verisurf addons are fantastic

Tyler Robertson

If someone knows an easier way to do this, feel free to make me feel stupid; once I downloaded the Verisurf Add-ons for Mastercam, it was smooth sailing.

The part I have has thousands of holes to be 5ax drilled on a curved solid face.

Came in from UG and doesn't have any center points for the holes in the solid - all the geometry on them is splines. Creating curves on the face makes splines around the holes because the surface is curved.

I tried everything:

-Simplify / Break Many

-Project to plane / Save contour op with create arcs

etc.

Nothing seemed to work.

installed the Verisurf add-ons (had used HoleAxis before)

-Used Verisurf Surface Points > Curve to Points and Vectors

set the edge to half the hole diameter and perfect vectors/center points were createded almost instantly for many thousands of holes.

Thanks Verisurf - saved me a lot of time today!

If the hole has an inner surface, I have used create point-dynamic-line and put the radius of the hole in for an offset. Then position the dynamic arrow on the hole's inner surface and click, and it produces a line normal to the surface with the length set same as the radius, so the endpoint is right in the middle of the hole. This dynamic line is useful for making axis-control lines for 5axis-curve routines, also.

But, Verisurf's way sounds easier, and I normally use Hole-Axis.

Hey Rodger - what's up? Robots, carnage, t0olpathing, ... trying to catch up on sleep from last week. oof.

How you doing?

tried fbm drill to do this at first - it's great for things like this but I think there was just too much.

As for the part,

They're unfortunately thru holes, on a curved 1" thick sheet. How many holes? 30,000...

but thanks for the suggestions guys

First....I know this is a Mastercam forum...so don't get all excited..... wink.gif

Tyler can you bring it back into UG and program the holes there? I am only saying this, because it would take about 20 seconds to drill the 30,000 holes including generating the toolpath. You would not have to create a single piece of geo. You simply select the face that has the holes in it " all holes in face" It even lets you select all holes in face between min and max hole sizes. Then you select "normal to part surface" and generate.

Since you work for in house can this be put into the suggestion box?

Jamey

X4