Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How do you "Teach"

Mic6

First off, I'm no Mastercam Instructor, but I'm profecient enough to occasionally be asked to show co-workers who are still using 9, or haven't programmed at all how to use X4. Now when any of you teach others how to use it, do you go by the book, or use the tips and tricks you know. I tell them there are a few ways to do everything, so I show something different each time. I know this confuses them, so should I just go "by the book" style? On the other hand, I'd like to keep alot of stuff I've learned to myself for now. What do you guys/gals think?

I like to give them enough of the X "basics" to get them started. There is nothing more frustrating for a student, than to be shown a bunch of different ways, especially when they are struggling trying to grasp the basics.

Use the KISS theory.

Keep It Simple Stupid

People moving from V9 to X, all they really need to know is "where" the functions have been relocated. Much of it still works the same way. So with V9 users, concentrate on the GUI.

New users are a blank slate, so the GUI and the basic concepts.

Most of all give them enough to jump off and get going. At least they will feel like they are accomplishing something, then further down the road, the natural questions will arise.

Everyone is different, some may pickup everything

you throw out there while others will give you that

blank stare like your speaking a different language.

If they get they get it. If not theyll keep on

asking the same questions over and over.

Try a metal ruler, works for me biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

quote:

Keep It Simple Stupid

Gotta drag Storky and Keeb in dont cha ?? rolleyes.gif

PEACE biggrin.gif

I sub for our local machine tool teacher at the community college and when it comes to programming, I usually start them off at hand coding. Then when they can do that, I teach by the book, but go more into why you should do this and spend a lot of time at 2d roughing and toolpath optimization. Efficient programs are better than complicated ones is what I tell them.

In MasterCAM's documentation directory there is an acrobat file you may already know this): "V92XFunctions".

I've had my best results passing this document along and removing V9 from their computer. From there it's just a matter of having them ask for help when they a stumped and showing them how to search topics on the forum.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to work on keeping it simple, but handcoding is not really an option here, even though that's how I learned and it's invaluable. Good Idea on the V92XFunctions slick, I haven't used that, but I do use the Quick Ref card with the new to CAM guy. The 9 to X guy is hard to change. I try to show him how to use levels, but he never did that on 9, or naming operations so... ALL geometry is scattered all over the screen, on the SAME level. It's ugly smile.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

First and foremost, teach them how to drill. When they master that, they'll be FAR ahead of the "CAM-centric Expert" and well on their way grasping how the software works. Like John said, keep it simple. Once they gain mastery over the simple things (contour, pocket, drill), then indtroduce 2D HSM toolpaths, and progress from there.

I've been teaching my 13 year old son how to draw and program. Granted he's only doing the simple things (plates with pockets, holes, etc...). Nothing that has to be treated special due to thin walls, thin floors, close tolerances, etc... But he's getting a decent grasp on it. Matter of fact, a part the was posted on another forum that gave an expert fits, was no problem for my 13 year old. And he had it done inside of 30 minutes. So the moral of the story is, Mastercam can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. If you keep things simple, then the guys will have success, and they'll go far. Make things complicated, they'll get frustrated, claim the software sucks and create blogs telling the world how bad the software sucks.

quote:

The 9 to X guy is hard to change. I try to show him how to use levels, but he never did that on 9, or naming operations so... ALL geometry is scattered all over the screen, on the SAME level. It's ugly
smile.gif

V9 to X guy is going to be a tough one. He's learned some BAD habits and until he decides that those habits need to be fixed, it's going to be an uphill battle. Just keep showing him that using and naming operations, levels, etc... makes things so much easier not only on himself, but anyone else that has to possibly com in to his file to make a rev change or something incase he's on vacation or something. Good luck on that one though. cheers.gif

JM2C

One thing I do is try to drive the program with using menu driven vs. icon driven functions. People understand WORDS like "xform>translate", not abstractions like "click the little blue and purple box with the blue arrow". Also that is how 9 worked more or less too (if I remember biggrin.gif )

Another thing related to that is get rid of all the unneeded toolbars. A rookie probably does not need the surface bar and whatnot. Cleans up the screen and seems to not snowblind people so much with 20,000 little abstract pictures.

For views, drive the entire program with the view mangaer and g-view top icon. That's all you really need to get rolling with prismatic parts.

m2c

Good points James and Chris. I'm asked to help with complete parts, which is kinda tough, but I do my best considering I have parts to be made as well. Minimal toolbars is a good idea. The other day the new to CAM guy had to import an IGES, create curves, delete duplicates, put curves on a new level and so on. Pretty sure his head almost exploded, but I'm going to use all the input from here. cheers.gif

Here's my $.02 ...

1) Show them how to do ...

2) Assist them in doing it ...

3) Let them do it without help ...

4) Encourage them to experiment with different parameters ...

5) Help them to find other ways to do the same task ...

If using a tutorial ... stick to it so they can reference it later ... add different methods once they did the book work ...

Be patience ...

cheers.gif