Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Broaching on a Haas, Anyone doing it

Jayson Kramer

I don't know about new Hass designs,

but I did a little broaching on a Haas

about 10 years ago.

The spindle orientation mechanisim

was a steel pin going into a hole

in an aluminum pulley.

Broaching tore things up in short order.

I wouldn't do it unless is VERY ligth

duty work cause you WILL jack up your

spindle.

We use the Slater broaches non-rotary because of the shapes we broach "D" and double "D" I rough mill then broach. Try not to leave any more than .005 per side. I have done 3/4 hex before in an old VMC that had a spindle orientation pin not all machines have that most are magnetic now, but back to the story you could see the machine twisting as the broach went in and out. We ended up sending it out for EDM.

Good luck. cheers.gif

Going pretty good here Jay. I am finally making posts for all the machines. For a while there, I was only doing the Toyoda system stuff. But the cell is doing so good, they (you know who "they" is) wants the rest of the shop to run the same.

Hey, can I get back into beta here? I still have all my accesses, do you need to do something to our hasp?

TIA cheers.gif

Jay,

I've shaped on a Haas before. Basically make a tool that is the width of your keyway with a front and bottom rake. Then lock the spindle and shape the keyway by moving the tool up and down for the full length of the keyway but step in (on either the X or Y) on the downstrokes only. Only taking a few thousandths at a time.

You can create the path in MC by creating points in increments of .003"-.005" (in X or Y depending on config) then using drill toolpaths.