Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How is Mastercam written - java, C++, etc

Code_Breaker

quote:

I hate to break this to you

I did this for Vericut ... Imagecfg is a Microsoft tool for XP and Server 03. Since Vericut is written in Java (running in JVM) all you need is to run this tool against JRE to make it aware of the 3GB memory. (All your java apps now will aware of 3GB)

Instructions:

quote:

Make more memory available for Vericut in XP

• System Properties click [Advance] tab

• Under Startup and Recovery click [settings]

• Click [Edit] button under System startup

• Add:

o /3GB /Userva=2900

• Reboot the computer

• Download and extract the following file:

o

o To C:cgtechXXXwindowsjrebin

o Rename imagecfg.file to imagecfg.exe

o Make a copy of javaw.exe

o Execute the following command:

 Imagecfg –l javaw.exe

Since Mastercam is written in C or C++ I will have to run this tool against the application level to get full use of 3GB.

Hey,

I only have 2G of RAM.

Should I add anything to my boot.ini, or am I operating as fast as I can?

Tnx.

MasterCam X4 Mill Level 3/Solids

Dell Precision T3400

Intel Core Duo CPU 2.33 GHz

2.33GHz,2.00 GB RAM

Windows XP Pro SP3

NVIDIA Quadro FX 570

quote:

Should I add anything to my boot.ini, or am I operating as fast as I can?

You are fine. By default, Windows can manage up to 2G without the /3GB switch.

In theory, the OS can see up to 4Gb in the 32 bits architecture, however, since the OS needs to assign hardware resources as well (BIOS, PCI bus, IRQs, etc), even in a machine with 4Gb of RAM and the /3GB switch at the boot.ini, Windows will have only about 3.5GB available for itself... the other 0.5 Gb is used by the system resources... you can notice that in the system properties (Winkey+Pause/Break)

• 3 months later...

quote:

The /userva=xxxx switch is designed to allow for more precise tuning of User-mode address space for program manufacturers who require more than 2 GB of User-mode space but do not require all the space that is provided by the /3GB tuning switch alone.

Note Using only the /3GB switch allocates 1 GB to the kernel and 3 GB to the User-mode space.

Using this switch reduces the memory available in the following system pools:

* Nonpaged Pool

* Paged Pool

* System Page Table Entries (PTEs)

If the memory reduction in the pools is too great in a specific server installation, the server or the applications may generate an error or appear to stop responding.

In Windows Server 2003, you can add a small amount of the additional 1 GB back to the operating system. By decreasing the amount of User-mode space that is typically allocated by the /3GB switch, Windows Server 2003 increases the available kernel memory address space. This additional Kernel-mode address space is held in reserve and is used as additional address space for PTEs if the system runs out of free PTE space. This address space is not allocated to PTEs until the system runs low on PTE space.

In order to accurately see PTE space, use the !VM command in the debugger.

Note In Microsoft Windows XP and in Windows Server 2003, you can use this command interactively with the current debuggers that are available on the Microsoft download site.

Note Microsoft Product Support Services strongly recommends using a range of memory for the /userva=xxxx switch that is within the range of 2900 to 3030. This range is wide enough to provide a pool of system PTEs that is large enough for all currently observed issues. Typically, a value of 2800 for the xxxx placeholder will provide close to the maximum available number of system PTEs possible. Values observered in production for the 2800 setting are usually in the 50,000 - 70,000 free system pages, more than enough for all installations. If the value is less that 24,000, you should reduce this value in 64 MB steps until values larger than 24,000 to 26,000 are observed. Smaller numbers in the userva switch result in larger allocations of system pages.

Even on a 64-bit operating system MasterCAM is run as a 32-bit process.

That means it can still only address 2^32 bits of memory (4Gb) regardless of how much memory you actually have.

Until MasterCAM becomes a 64-bit process (which given the amount of third-party debris in the application makes me think it will be a loooong time coming) that's all it can use.

The /3Gb switch isn't supported on 64-bit versions of Windows so there's no point in setting it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294418

So to answer your question Jaz, the switch will do nothing for you.

Guest SAIPEM

On the latest Dell 32-Bit workstation machines with XP, Vista or Win7, PAE is enabled by default.

No need to modify the boot.ini.

Using any of these switches is, for all intents and purposes, useless on new Dell 32-Bit workstation machines.