Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

toolpath help

Tim Pruett

OK, I found where to set the scallop height but whenever I change it, it changes the stepover amount. I'm looking for a toolpath that will

VARY THE DEPTH OF CUT and keep a set scallop height value. So it will make shallow cuts on the top of a radius about half way around and then start making deeper cuts as it gets closer to the bottom of the radius. I'm cutting a boss with drafted side walls with a .05 radius at the top edge, it's flat on top.

Cimatron has a toolpath that will do this. I know that's gonna get me yelled at but man this just sucks having to parallel cut everything. Somebody please help.

The 'w' cut is nice. wink.gif

I cut drafted bosses all the time and a waterline

with added cuts is the closest you will get to

cimatrons.

if you use .01 step down

use .0005 - min stepdown

and .01 - max pro step over

Play with the min step down till you get close to

what you want.

Hope this helps

[ 02-03-2010, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Rickster ]

Hardmill, I have 14 toolpaths on one electrode. I was trying to simplify some of the programing I have to do. I just thought maybe I could finish the entire electrode with one toolpath the way cimitron can.

Toonz, every time I try to flowline an electrode with more than a few surfaces I get the inevitable "surface conflict error". Any ideas how to fix this. I love flowline, whenever I can get it to work.

Rickster, I tried the waterline toolpath and it still looked like it kept a constant depth of cut.

Yeah, the reason you get the conflict error is that the across and along of the surfaces are are reversed (perpendicular) on one or more surfaces.

The solution is: 1. To either recreate the surfaces so that they are all oriented the same way.

or: 2. Toolpath all the surfaces that match orientation in one or more ops, and the same for the remaining surfaces.

Toonz,

I know how to fix the problem, but I think I souldn't have to fix 30 out of 46 surfaces to get a program to run correctly. The problem with mastercam is that in all of the other programs that offer a scallop height setting, if you change it, it changes the stepover amount and keeps it constant. Why can't surface finish contour as an example have a setting for scallop height and keep it seperated from the stepdown amount like flowline does. Toolpathing would be so much quicker.