Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Feed/speed suggestions for extended shank

left coast lefty

I'd use a Mitusbishi 1.25" hi feed to rough this slot

300 SFM , 85 ipm and a .05 plunge toolpath

down the center of the slot.

If you set the toolpath right, it will run back and forth plunging .05 on each end of the cut

I've run this toolpath in 304 weldments with great success. It should yeild similar results

in 304 SS

I don't think your application is a good one for a peel mill toolpath. I would somewhat agree with gcode, except for the plunging part. I would use a ramp milling toolpath ( plunging with a feedmill is a no-no as they are not centre cutting ). The only thing holding back your feedrate will be your machine and control. We can run up to 400 ipm with a 3/4" dia. Seco feedmill with a .020 depth of cut.

quote:

except for the plunging part

lefty said he had clear blue sky on both sides on the slot. I meant to feed off the stock and plunge down to the next depth in the air.

Plunging straight down in stock will destroy a hifeed mill

Thanks guys. I was hoping to use the extended shank tool as it would finish the sides as well. I was hoping someone who has used something similar could clue me in as to how fast/deep I can push it without chatter.

No plunging, wide open at the opening.

G-code: I would like to try the Mitsubishi for something else. Do you use those figures dry or with

flood coolant? Also, how deep will it reach?

Thanks again!

The 1-1/4 is an endmill sytle that you hold in an

1.25 endmill holder. The have a regular and long series

The regular is 2-3/4 LOC and the long is 4"

I use a lot of the 2 and 3" cutters in shell mill style on arbors up to a 12" long.