Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X4 is so slow to reopen operations

Gramby

Moments ago I just got reminded how slow X4 MU3 is. Yeah a operator was looking over my shoulder while we did some modifications to the operations on a program which was already programmed. I'm like yeah your right I can sit here and twiddle my thumbs and wait, it sucks. I was only opening up existing operations to view some settings. CAN ANYTHING BE DONE TO SPEED THIS UP ????? How annoying I have a realativly fast computer. Dell Precision 670 workstation with 3.00ghz and 2 gb of ram. My Mastercam Config is set at 70% for memory buffering? Does that sound reasonable with dual montiors and Cadkey open on my other screen? Cadkey is open for die design reference only.

I had no complaints on speed in MC X3 its only when I went to X4. Then even in X4 when you do surfacing or use the old wire frame 2d swept in which you get the old X3 style operation parameter page, the speed is fine. Meaning when I reopen these style operations they open up rather quick with no hesitation. WHY DO THE NEW X4 STYLE OPERATIONS TAKE SO LONG TO OPEN UP?? Will it be improved in X5? Do I need to revise my computer settings or something? Has everyone seen a preformance decrease in X4?

We've got 4 seats running here and don't have that problem with XP x32.

I have Win7 x64 at home and get a second or so of delay on that machine.

Last week I installed a better video card (Quadro FX-1800) and things improved a bit, but its still there.

I've got a moderate computer, and the operations lag a bit when opening, no matter what I've got going on. Sometimes it's worse than others, but it seems somewhat random. I think perhaps it might be the same lag all the time, but it just seems like a different amount of time depending on my stress and/or aggravation level, and time since my last coffee intake. It's definitely a time waster that needs to be addressed.

Gramby, I am doing the same as you are. I am running duel 24" monitors with MC running on one side with Key Creator (Cadkey) running on the other for my tool design. Since I upgraded to a new work station, speed has not been a factor.When I first open my programs in the morning things seem a little slow, but once this thing gets fired up....it FLIES!!!

Here is what I am running:

Dell Precision T3500

Win 7 Pro

Processor - Intel® Xeon® CPU W3520 @ 2.67GHz 2.67GHz

video card - Quadro FX3800

RAM - 6.00GB

64- bit OS

Thanks all. Glenn I did cast my vote. I really doubt it is a computer issue. The reason I say that is I can have a dozen operations for the same part. When I open a contour operation I can have a 2-3 sec delay maybe occasionally over 3 sec. Seems drill operations may have a 1-2 sec delay. But old X3 style paths such as surfacing and swepted 2d open immediately with no delay. Seems to be related to the new style operation parameter page.

Seems according to Glens pole 86% of users have experienced slowness with X4. Ok MC lets get this back to X3 speed in X5.

quote:

Seems to be related to the new style operation parameter page.

Yep...I agree.

I refuse to run X4 because of the added irritation of the delay, and the hodge poge of old style mixed with new slower paramater tree that forces a pull down to view all the params so they can leave it in a tiny window. Also the temp file error and lost toolpaths that would not regenerate cost me a bunch of time that helped loose faith in X4. These issues just added to the experiance (feeling) of a VERY SLOW system that is extremely irritating to work with in a fast paced evironment. Happily sticking with X3.

quote:

Just did some checking here on some surface paths i am doing on a mold, watched the second hand at the most 1.5 sec to open the operation.

On the Core 2 DUO I had at the time it was 3+ seconds. Keeping in perspective I can open a small Mastercam file (double click file to open a second app that X4 says no to) takes less then 3 seconds on a Core i7 920 win7 x32.

• 4 weeks later...

I am glad to see that the users haven’t settled into accepting this as the new status quo. I noticed some input about the presence of CadKey operating simultaneously along with Mastercam and this having some effect on the delay. I am a Pro-E user and I notice a significant delay if I have Pro-E open with several part files present. The more part files open the longer the delay. 8 part files could mean a delay of 30 seconds. I also notice longer delay on the computer with the lesser video card. My company is looking at upgrading our PC’s in the fall to run Win 7. I will be lobbying for video cards with as much video ram as economically possible. I would like to add that I have been following these threads since X4 appeared and I have yet to see any real response from CNC software that would lead me to believe that this is being addressed. I believe that they are “all in” with this new parameter format and it is up to us as the user to figure out how to make it work effectively. Currently, I close Pro-E when I am using Mastercam. I don’t like this as we are research facility and that is our mechanical design package. It is helpful to be able to have the assembly available to look at when I am deciding how to fabricate something. Not everything in the model is necessary. Simple changes to inside radii, for example, can make my job easier.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree I hate the delay, it is irritating specially when you have a boss breatinhg down your neck for a program change or an operator for that matter. X3 didnt experience this lag, so much for an upgrade; CNC seem to address some problems with new releases but creates even more. Do they beta test this software before releasing or do they just believe that no one will say anything about this problem.

i was seeing delays of 30-40 seconds opening stuff in X3. it was said this was to be fixed for X4. in the limited time i ran X4 before removing it due to lack of maintence updates it was better but sometimes still 10-15 seconds.

I have a new T5500 dell and the lag time is still there with X3. the quad core just sits there trying to get it done. processor goes up to 25-30% like when doing regen on surfacing.

quote:

I have a new T5500 dell and the lag time is still there with X3. the quad core just sits there trying to get it done. processor goes up to 25-30% like when doing regen on surfacing.

If you are seeing lag in X3 Im going to guess you have a network issue. I've run X3 on several different machines, and evironments and have never seen a lag unless I was having network issues. Things to look for, mapped drives that are no longer used, network permissions, mapped to server as default and network hangs...ect.