Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Ball lock mounting system

alanu23

quote:

or the side of the company that sees opportunities to impove products and capitalize on on its efforts.

Alan,

You are missing the point. While your design looks cool, and it really does, you have not invented anything "novel" to better the product.

Simply changing the configuration does not make it "novel" and therefore would not make it eligible for patent.

BTW, I speak of utility patents, not design patents. Design patents are only about the cosmetic looks of a product, not the functionality.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, who cares if it is patented or not if it is used and not sold. Who would know? If nobody knows, and he's not selling, then how is technigrip gonna sue?

These may be ethical issues, but I think that one hour of atty fees would be more than they would sue for. Therfore, no suit, whether patented or not.

Cool product by the way, and Ball Locks ROCK!

quote:

Honestly, who cares if it is patented or not if it is used and not sold. Who would know? If nobody knows, and he's not selling, then how is technigrip gonna sue?

These may be ethical issues, but I think that one hour of atty fees would be more than they would sue for. Therfore, no suit, whether patented or not.

Robert,

Certainly no one will waste the money on legal action if the damages are minimal.

Ethically, well that's up to the ethical character of each person. I value Intellectual Property, some may not. In many cases I would bet patent infringement is due to ignorance rather than malicious behavior.

In this case, I really don’t think Alan thinks his design is a violation, but assuming TG has a patent I think the chances are high that he would be infringing. I cannot find any reference to a patent on their website, James, if you have the patent number please post it.

Why did I bring it up? Two fold. One to educate and inform him since he did show this somewhat publicly. Second, since I have respect for IP, I do take exception to the violation of IP.

But as I already said, his design looks bitch’in. wink.gif

quote:

It will b interesting to see what your attorney says.

FYI, here is his reply:

"Dave -- Your gut feeling was correct. A U.S. patent gives the right to exclude others from making, using, offering for sale, or selling a product covered by the patent. In the U.S., It makes no difference if the person makes and uses an infringing product in public or not."

As a side note, I have not yet found a patent for Technigrip. If anyone has one of these units, please share the patent number if they have marked it on the unit.

Dave he using their parts in his design. He did not re engineer their parts he incorporated them into his design. How is that a violation of a patent? I as well as others are well within our abilities to take parts and pieces from something and add them to what we need to get the job done. I have been doing that for over 20 years. I guess if we followed your letter of the law a lot of companies I have worked for and I am sure others have worked for would be out of business just with all the soft jaws they have made for Kurt vices??

quote:

The tool holder in your pic, how many patents did you violate? Alot of people make one similar to yours

NONE. I did my homework and we have a patent in process.

If you want to learn about patents and not assume what they stand for, go to:

www.uspto.gov

Lot's of very good information their and interesting too

Jammer - I am the same way, none of my stuff is secret and would be tickled if someone wanted it, I have gotten all sorts of "patented" product models from users on here... THANKS ALL! You've saved me tons of time. And I agree with Ron above. We do what we have to get the job done. If someones product doesn't do that then we have to figure out how to make it work. In Technigrips favor, they obviously have an outstanding product, and I think this thread alone is good PR. Not only does me making this not cost them a sale it will actually create a big sale for them. Because I will not be making the grippers.. and they are not cheap. 10 gripper sets times "something less then $200 a set" Equals "something less than $2000.. nice plump sale for them, and Dave if you still think I am robbing a sale, the price of the 12" model with 5 sets of grippers costs approximately the same as 5 replacement gripper sets.. I know, I have bought them. So the smart thing to do then is to buy two twelve inch models put the bodies in the tool crib for replacements when operators imput wrong offsets.. Then use the teeth on my model... Technigrip will be banking it..

James,

Yes I am sure, see your original number:

quote:

Patent US 6,349,919 (B1?)

Thanks for the link, that's the correct number 6,349,929

quote:

So, Dave, how's the Versa-LOK selling...???

Is there a big demand...???

How long have u been offering this product...???

It's selling very well especially since we don't do enough marketing. The people who have them love them. Using the tool is the best experience, much better than looking at the photos.

The product has been out for about 3 years.

Well according that patent any one holding things with dovetails is in direct violation of that patent. Looks like everyone who was every holding part with dovetails before them have a lawsuit if they can prove they were doing it before 2000. I know I learned to use dovetails to hold parts back in trade school and that was late 80's so you think I might win if I take them to court?? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Hum let me see do the people who have used dovetails on machine tool have a case against these guys? How about lathe dovetails, and I remember making dovetail parts for the medical industry to hold part, guess those companies got a case against these guys?

Dave I do not know or do I care to know about patents. I have had companies I have worked for patent my ideas and make a mint off of them. So you got one good for you, but if I wanted to make something to use I am well within my God given rights to do so. I can barely get endmills and to think I would be able to drop $2k on something I could make for $200 would not happen. I guess all of our lathe parts we have been doing for years void the patent since they use dovetails. Look for the patent police to show up any day now and put us out of business for using dovetails since these guys have a patent on the process. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif