Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CNC Programmer Available

shook2009

I'm a machinist...I currently setup/operate/edit a 5-axis Nicholas Correra gantry.

The reason why I'm posting is that I'm currently looking for a job In the Los Angeles/San Bernardino/Riverside California areas that involves programming 100% of the time or 50/50 machining and programming.

It's become clear to me that I will not get the opportunity to move up into programming at current my place of Employment.

I'm familiar with X generation Mastercam.....including X4.

Over the past 4 years, I've completed 3 Mastercam Classes at the NTMA.

I just finished with my 2nd solidworks class at Mt. San Antonio College.

Also, I am teaching myself Catia V5R19 using books and video tutorials. So far, with Catia and Solidworks, I've been solid modeling, drafting and assembly simulations....however, last week I programmed my first toolpath in catia.

I'm considering taking a catia class at Cerritos college this fall.

I plan on expanding my knowlege in different softwares, however, my main software is MASTERCAM. I practice my tool control and I don't just pick drive surfaces/check surfaces/boundaries and let mastercam plunge in wrong place or bounce up and down all over the place....like school projects do. I try hard to make toolpaths that won't break cutters and will work in the "Real World".....I'm an experienced machinist and I use that experience when I program.

The biggest challenge I face seeking different employment is SEAT TIME. Most places want 5 years experience. It's a "Catch 22" situation. I just need to break thru that glass ceiling. I'm highly motivated..I can do the job if some company out there gives me the chance to prove it to them....I'm good at 3 axis and 4 axis positional and I'm getting better with 5 axis.

I'll be happy to share some files I have on USB or I can do a test project. I will take a programming job for less money than most 5 year experienced programmers would.

I've been advised to exaggerate about my seat time and basically lie and B.S. my way into a job...that is not my style...I'm not that desperate yet.

Thanks for taking the time to read my lengthy post,

Bill

[email protected]

You have the right attitude and keep plugging away at it. Get as much seat time as you can. Tell your current employer you would like to come in early or stay late to program parts for them. Yes it sucks nothing getting paid to do work for them, but you might be surprised what the current programmer(s) might do to start helping you here and there. You are correct about the catch 22, but I will tell you this my first 5 axis job a trail by fire job. No experience programming Mastercam 5 axis only about 3 months seat time using Mastercam and away I went. The first day I did more than they had in 3 months. The rest is history and here I am today. When I was learning Mastercam I took files home and bought myself a $4000 computer 9 years ago to have a computer to push the software. Wife thought I lost my marbles, but it paid off because I learned a lot by doing and trying everything. That was before I found the forum. I learn more sometimes helping others to question I think I might know the answer too, but am not really sure. Good luck in your search and if I were looking I would tell you to come talk to me. There are people looking and email Brain that has been putting up adds for people he is a guy that might be able to help you out in your search.

Thats the only way I got into programming, keep on them and when u get a chance show them what u can do. I still have to run machines but get a decent amount of seat time. I had to keep reminding them till they got sick of hearing me, may anoy some bosses but persistance works. Good luck

the programming structure where I work is:

3 programmers programming for all 5 axis and large 3 axis machines in catia

1 programmer programming for the Fidals in Gibbs Cam

a VTL machinist and a slant lathe machinist programming their own in Mastercam 9

In the software I'm best at (Mastercam X2 and X4)....they don't have. I've recently been practicing with mastercam 9...I can program with it, however, I'm not that familiar with it....it takes me longer to do basic projects with it.

I passed along a file of some of my projects 6 months ago to the manager of programming...it had solidworks, mastercam x4 and catia projects. He couldn't open the X4 files...and i don't think he looked at the solid works and back then, I had three basic solids i created in catia they were not constrained....he only looked at the catia files that had no programming...since then, I constrain everything and have worked on assemblies/drawings and simulations...and a project with one toolpath....the projects list is now up to 25 catia files.

I've tried on several occasions to pass along more current projects...and he is too busy to look at them.

I wake up between 2 and 3AM most mornings so i can work on projects in either mastercam, catia or solidworks. I leave around 4 AM for work and don't get home until around 6:30 pm or later...then dinner and about a hour to clear the burnout for the long commute from my head. Sometimes the hours change....but mostly, i work 5am to 5pm...sometimes 8 hour saturdays and 6 hour sundays....oh yeah, during spring and fall i got school at night one or two nights a week.

I'm doing the best I can....at some point i'll learn Gibbs cam....but right now, i have plenty on my plate....ht ebottm line is that the path to moving up where i'm at is Gibbs Cam and then catia.....I'm not that patient to wait years for an opportunity that may never happen....I'm in my mid 40's now and the clock is ticking.

Bill is a good hand.

He worked the night shift at my place and got blown out in the big layoff last year.

The night shift went from 30 to 4 in one day.

Our shop does big parts and 2 pieces is concidered a production run.. so its pretty

much a full time setup environement.

Bill brings a desire to learn and an outstanding work ethic to the table. He'd be a good addition to any shop.

quote:

Over the past 4 years, I've completed 3 Mastercam Classes at the NTMA.

He was in my Mastercam class at NTMA ... quick learner, teachable, and hungry to understand ... great character and conscientious ... he will be an excellent full time programmer ...

Good luck Bill ...

cheers.gif

quote:

There's a reason your rollaway has wheels on it.

+1... but never burn your bridges.

Let your employer know that you are only looking to move forward and upgrade your skills and that it is not personal. I returned to one shop I had previously left for what I though was a better job. I got laid off and the owner welcomed me back. Another shop I had worked at called me back to do some contract work and train some employees.

Again, be professional and leave on good terms.

Here is a video of a project similiar to one I set up and ran at work. I drew the solid from memory after I got home from work.

It's a small part part previously turned on a lathe 1018 steel (4.25" dia held in soft jaws), drill and tap the top...then rough the sides with a 5 flute HHS Roughing Endmill and finish the sides with a standard 4 flute HHS Endmill, then a ball endmill to cut the corner radius.

All comments welcomed.....good and bad....what do you think

The part I machined at work: I G-coded the soft jaws.....and the programmer used a corner radius tool to for the radius.

Copy and paste the name in the Search window on youtube.com

Shook Projects Mastercam X4 5-Axis 1.AVI

Here is a video of a project similiar to one I set up and ran at work. I drew the solid from memory after I got home from work.

It's a small part part previously turned on a lathe 1018 steel (4.25" dia held in soft jaws), drill and tap the top...then rough the sides with a 5 flute HHS Roughing Endmill and finish the sides with a standard 4 flute HHS Endmill, then a ball endmill to cut the corner radius.

All comments welcomed.....good and bad....what do you think

The part I machined at work: I G-coded the soft jaws.....and the programmer used a corner radius tool to for the radius.

Copy and paste the name in the Search window on youtube.com

Shook Projects Mastercam X4 5-Axis 1.AVI