Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Soildworks experiance

SCOTT HANSON

Looking to find someone who uses Mastercam and is also very knowledgeable in Solidworks to answer a few of my questions.Our engineers are spoiled and lazy and don't want to help us programers out to make our jobs easier.Its always "NOPE CAN'T DO THAT" when we ask them a question.So i just want to find someone who might be able to answer my questions so i can go back and throw it on there desk. Thanks

well, we have meetings and meeting that im involved in about how we can help engineering to be more productive (no detailing on prints, no paperwork,not updating detailed drawings only models get updated). But there is never any consideration for how to make our job easier. So im just trying to find some who knows solidworks for some answers.I know nothing about solidworks and just to have some info i when i ask them a question. they put a engineer thru basic mastercam level 1 just so they can say well they could do this or they could do that, kinda like alittle spy.so i just wanted some answers so i can be ready for the battle so to speak

quote:

we can help engineering to be more productive (no detailing on prints, no paperwork,not updating detailed drawings only models get updated). But there is never any consideration for how to make our job easier.

Very poor management view. As an engineer and owner, I will tell you that engineering’s job should always be to make manufacturing easier – period.

I’ve been down the whole paperless-model only road and it’s a joke. Drawings are needed to convey specifications and requirements as well as easy to handle and read. Even if the info can be in the model, taking the time to extract the info is bs.gif

well im running x4 and cut parts on a 4x8 andi router 3 axis, and we program using wire frame models.my first question is using the chain feature contour. all entities of the part are the same color and line width, and i want to select all the same size slots but it also select the top and bottom enties of the slots chains adding extra toolpaths.I've gone thru my options and i still can not get the right options to only select the bottom chain.So i asked them if we could change all the slots to a certain color,line width or level but they said it can't be done.If i could get them to do this it would greatly reduce my programing time.

Understand that SW is a 3D modeling program, and really has no use for different line weights or line colors. As Dave said you can change face, feature or component colors, but not as far as I know either, lines.

There may be other ways to approach the issue you are having though, aside from getting your engineering department to change how they produce drawings. Although I'm no guru with Mastercam I do know that there are a lot of features in it to make selections easier. Often times the only thing you need to do is to know what option to click, chook to use, or button to push. Perhaps a conversation with the apps people at your reseller could make your life a whole lot easier without getting the engineering department to change it's ways.

Why not go to front view. Grab all the bottom chains with window. Then right click on the level button and move to level 1000. Then turn off all the other levels. Now click on the toolpath. Click window and done. If you want to pick the chains again they are where you can select the chains on a level by them self. Quick easy and done.

2nd option on the all or only selection there is a miscellaneous method. There is a Depth option and you can decide on the depth of what you want to be selected. See the picture.

DEPTHSELECTION.png

Now if Zero is the top of the part and your chains are all on the -.5 then use =.5 or the >.5 for everything lower than .5. You can play with these to get use to their capabilities to speed up something that is really a Mastercam thing and not a Solidworks thing.

Hi Scott,

I don`t mean to hijack your thread, but when

I saw Ludington, Michigan I had to. I am

just a half mile or so from where your at.

If you have any questions call me over at

Whitehall. I have been using Mastercam since

98. Maybe I could help. This forum is also a

great place to learn.