Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rigid Tapping

K Reed

Hello,

I'm looking for any advice on getting mastercam v.9 to support rigid tapping on a Fadal 88hs control. I'm currently toying with the post processor but Figured I might try getting some advise before crashing any taps. I'm an experienced manual programmer(g-code), so I'm not afraid to edit a simple drilling cycle to a rigid tap cycle. That is how I currently rigid tap. The problem is everybody else in the shop does'nt know how to edit a program. I'd really like to get this set-up so all the other guys can use the rigid tapping feature. Any help would be appreciated. It'd be even better if someone had a post processor already modified biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance.

K REED

I have a post that was made for me by MASTERCAM

for FADALS and uses RIGID TAP and it works great.

If this is not an issue with MASTERCAM,I can e-mail to you.

My post is for V8.1.1 but you can convert over to V9 as far as I know.

I won't go to V9 until I see that most of the bugs are out. I only want to help out as I have been helped on this forum many times before.

If someone out there knows that it's cool or not to swap POSTS let me know.

Thanks

Joe

The Fadal's rigid tap feature uses the standard G84 cycle, but some Fadals require the addition of a digit like G84.1 Z-1.1 F.05 R.5

Pretty much any CNC mill made in the last 15 years should be able to rigid tap without any difficulty. Floating holders are for old machines (and old geezers!!!)

Peter Eigler

K REED

Maybe I misunderstood your question.

Do you need advice on how to program rigid tap for FADAL or do you need the post set up for posting rigid tap correctly?

I see that I am going off the subject or others are.

Which do you want.I am just trying to help

Have a GREAT DAY!

Joe

On our Fadal I changed sg84 to G84.1, inserted a spindle speed, and inserted an M5 on the line preceding the tap cycle to stop the spindle. Works fine, rigid tapping is all we do on it. Hope this helps out.

(sample G code)

N102M5

N103G84.1S600Z-.4R.1F25.

(sg84 edit)

sg84 G84.1 #tap - right hand

sg84d G74.1 #tap - left hand

(ptap edit)

ptap #Canned Tap Cycle

pdrlcommonb

#RH/LH based on spindle direction

if use_pitch, pbld, n, "G95", e

if use_pitch = 0,

[

n, *sm05, e

# pcan1, pbld, n, *sgdrlref, *sgdrill, pxout, pyout, pfzout, pcout,

# prdrlout, *feed, strcantext, e

pcan1, pbld, n, *sgdrill, *speed, pxout, pyout, pfzout, pcout,

prdrlout, *feed, strcantext, e

]

I have a post for Fadal that rigid taps, posts as subroutines for fixture offsets, posts for subs in milling routines and gives an option when posting for 4 different size machines for where the table positions at the end of the program. It works great. It also has option for deep hole drilling cycle using I,J& K. My reseller made all of these enhancements for me.

Hi Nicholas

Rigid tapping is still called an "option" when purchasing machines, but in reality it has become a standard years ago and it would be very difficult to find a machine made since the mid 80's that doesn't have rigid tapping capabilities.

Rigid tapping on standard 2 axis lathes is far more impressive and a more recent option that is gaining popularity. The weight of the chuck and the inertia involved is far more critical on a lathe, and until rigid tapping became an option, people had no choice but to use those long clumsy tapping heads. Modern lathes let you put a tap into a collet, and the machine synchronizes the feed to keep up with the exact RPM to avoid having a lead error or broken tool.

Peter Eigler

Peter,

The control algorythms for Rigid Tapping may have been around for some time but I would suggest that there are some mechanical problems that kept it off some machines since its "Standardization" Date back in the 80's.

If I may add some value to this thread... Emuge Full Speed Tapping! Coolant thru taps, TiAlN Coating, Radiused Cutting action at the tip of the Tap, Spiral Flute Bottoming or Spiral Point Thru - These may cost a fortune but they will tap holes faster and longer that you ever though possible.

James - Ever do this on the Makinos or Mories?

Jovat08.....I'm looking for a post that will properly write in machine language. I do beleive it's ok to share posts seeing as our shop is an authorised user of mastercam ( 4 times over). That'd be great if I could get a copy of it to try. The one thing I'm having trouble with it NOT doing, Is inserting a the prepare for rigid tap command,(g84,2 I beleive) and adding the proper feeds and spindle speeds. Also , It does'nt seem to turn the feed and speed potentiometers off. ( so they run at exactly 100% of the programmed value). Like I said before, I'm toying around with it, and have'nt done alot of research yet. again , a copy would be awesome.

Smit, That looks like what I need to modify my current post, But the other guys in the shop are not very comfortable editing the program in the machine. CRASH, OOPS, I edited it. frown.gif

[ 08-26-2002, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: K Reed ]

MfgEng,

I checked the Emuge web page on your mention. These really look good.

Personally, I have always bought OSG Hypro taps as being the most cost effective for a few holes or many hundreds.

Did you purchase special drivers or holders for these taps? Or, do you simply mount into a collet system.

Although I always rigid tap in a machining center, I have not in a cnc lathe.

To me the lathe would need to be capable of stopping & reversing on a dime.

Given the chuck diameter of a large machine, inertia, etc!, I’m not sure if this is possible considering I would tap a ¼-20 at close to 1500RPM.

New Mazak w/Fusion 640T - Is this capable of rigid tapping as a standard feature?

Any comments?

Regards, Jack

Jack - Soft Syncro Holder that will absorb the shock of the spindle reversal. Basically pins suspended radially in a polymeric bushing. When the spindle reverses, the "Elasticity" of the polymer absorbs the shock so the cutting edge doesn't chip off. Uses the ER tapping collet with a Regofix Coolant Sealing Disk.

Example -

7 holes 1/2-13UNC

Cast Iron

1-1/4" Depth

Time for holes was in the order of 22 seconds.

Synchronous tapping - 7 Seconds Each! (Times include positioning between holes on 15"PCD)

OSG - I thought this stood for "Off Shore Garbage"

Compair the cutting edges and look for the Radius at the tip. A spiral flute tap is the best for looking at chip formation and count the strings as the come out of one flute. 1 String, 1 Cutting Edge. Emuge will give multiple strings (Chips)

Gauging of the threads is the real measure of hole quality - OSG's hole quality degraded faster than the Emuge. I always say that we can make crap fast and cheap - or we can make it right.