Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

High pressure coolant systems

chris m

Good morning folks

We're looking at buying a couple of new lathes this year and I am thinking about high-pressure coolant this time around to assist with some of our chip breaking and chip evacuation problems, but I really have no experience with this. Chip Blaster is a name everybody knows, but is their stuff any good? Is it priced right? What are the things I should know / ask about high-pressure coolant systems?

Thanks in advance

C

[ 06-18-2010, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: chris m ]

Okuma LB3000EX

The machines can be purchased with 1000psi thru-turret coolant prep and Sandvik says that their Capto clamping units and cutting heads are rated for 1000psi as well, so I think we're OK there, just don't know jack about the coolant system side of the equation.

C

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

1,000 PSI minimum. If you go more though, they may need to upgrade the plumbing. I like CoolJet myself. They are local for me and VERY reliable.

Go to Chip Blaster's website they'll tell you all about it smile.gif

I am looking at it because we have a day-in day-out turning operation in 4340 that presents major chip control problems because of light cuts, low feed, etc. Seems to me that high pressure coolant would help with chip evacuation from the cup-shaped internal features and, at least, blast the chips off of the outside of the parts so we don't need to stop the machine mid-cycle for a chip check.

James, I saw the Cool Jet website during my search and have requested some info from them.

C

quote:

we got a 250PSI thru coolant unit on one of our Okuma mill. and it's more than enough for chip evacuation

We have 250 on all of our machines and for the lathes it's not enough. We have the same chips issues in deep bores etc.

Be sure you looking into the coolant foaming issues because that will be the next problem.

Let us know how you make out please.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

I've always wondered what the advantage of high pressure coolant has.

Is it just mainly for chip evac in deep pockets?

Can you drill a 1/4" hole 16x diameter NO PECK with just flood? That's going to be a NO biggrin.giftongue.gif

It's more than chip evac. It's drilling with no need for peck or spotting NO MATTER the depth. You may need a counterbore when going beyond 16x but that's no biggie. I've drilled 55x Dia. with High Pressure. It would be nearly impossible any other way. Well short of a secondary operation which is just a horrible thought.

To me CTS is NOT an option, it's MANDATORY!