Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multi-Task Machining for X5

Guest SAMCRO

quote:

If you get involed now, your enhancements/suggestions may be in the X6 release, IDK.

I have been hearing that since...I dunno...like the first X version...."just wait till X2"...then "just wait till X3"...ect. Why wait when there are other viable solutions? Waiting for a maybe is a waste of time and money.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

I have been hearing that since...I dunno...like the first X version...."just wait till X2"...then "just wait till X3"...ect. Why wait when there are other viable solutions? Waiting for a maybe is a waste of time and money.

When I first started at my current job we were running v9. I convinced them to keep up with maint. and stay up to date. We made it up to the X2mr2 release. I finally got the other guy to start using X2 about a month ago. But as for the future releases, I don't think they are going to keep maint. on my seat. Lathe hasn't had any improvements that are worth the cost of paying it.

And yes, i was told the same thing since X. Still waiting.

@mayday

>Whens the last time anyone tried C axis contours on the sub spindle? let alone the main

nuf said♦

I run C axis contours on the main spindle all the time. I think it works beautifully. Maybe I'm just doin real easy parts tho.☻☻☻

quote:

I run C axis contours on the main spindle all the time

the main will work for most stuff. try the sub side rolleyes.gif you have to use mill paths only problem is your left side tool plane wont stick and if you dont manipulate things just right it wants to go to X- side all the time. Lathe toolpaths aint rocket science altho MClathe should be lanched in one

Mill hijack-I certainly hear where you guys are coming from, but I literally revolutionize companies using the hst toolpaths, which are only fully available in the most current release, x4 (more on the way!)

I guess for my application mcam works and keeping with current release is paramount. The maintence pays for itself in about a week with dynamic mill alone. M2c

I Thank all of you for the support on my first post. I had to take a couple of days off from viewing this thread as I was expecting to get hammered like I was a Wack-A-Mole. Thanks for not killing me but I had to say it like it is.

My biggest problem is using the C-axis G112/G113 cycle. Now correct me if I'm wrong but no matter what post I use for this,and you may experience this also, when tool comp is applied and the code is posted the G41/G42 & G40 code is posted outside of the G112/G113 cycle. Our Mori's or Doosan's don't like this even though verify shows that everthing is working just fine and dandy. Any C position outside of the G112/G113 is posted angular and it needs to be posted inside the cycle as polar in order for it to work correctly. This makes alot more work for me all day long as the owner wants to know what's taking so long because it looks great on the screen. I was told years ago by a dealer that this was not correctable because it was an encripted program in MC that the control maker supplied. Whether there's any truth to that I don't know but any new release of a post, I have tried and still the same junk posting. Now I just draw my shape in MC, analize and find my tool path positions and apply my own tool compensation to the G-code program. I don't consider this as saving time when an operator is standing over you at your desk wondering if you have a clue to what you are doing and if he's going to get hurt from what he is seeing. It starts to make me wonder also. As starting out on V8 and all the versions upto X4 MU3 with seats for Mill Level 3, Mill Level 2 and Lathe Level 1, I would think that this easy fix would have been done by now. Is anyone else having these problems just on the Main Spindle? I'm afraid to try it on the Sub.

Other problems I have -

Pinch Turning - MC, I'll right the code myself, you are no help in this area.

Transfering from the Main to the Sub-Spindle - Hmmm!!! - the little pictures you have look impressive the documentation stinks and I'll right my own code for that too as it posts nothing but junk.

If I pick Lathe as the Machine, goto top view and then pick Planes, Lathe Diameter and D+Z+, why must I always have to pick Planes, Lathe Diameter & D+Z+ again when coming from another view to draw more lathe diameters? If I don't, the dimension is double in size. I'm use to it now but new people you are just confusing the hell out of them.

How do I become a BETA tester as I feel I have alot to say. I might as well help fix it as our company is not investing in a 2nd programming system.

And also, this is my 2nd posting.

Thanks SAIPEM, this was a great question to ask and it's really got me fired up.

Guest SAIPEM

dfehrman,

I'm glad you spoke out.

Lathe in Mastercam has always been an afterthought.

It's about time CNC Software paid attention to Lathe and MTM and really allocated some resources toward it.

More over, the complete lack of communication from CNC regarding Lathe and MTM is inexcusable.

Telling your customers the truth will keep them loyal. Shine them on one too many times and they are gone for good.

They are losing EXISTING customers because of this.

The longer they wait, the greater the market share for their competitors.

dfehrman,

The problem you have with your tool compensation G41/G42 in G112/G113 is a post issues not related to the software. Now if that post you are using as been provided by the machine control suplyer then what the MC dealer told you is true, if the post is encrypted there is no way he would be able to make any change in the encrypted section. Although you may ask your MC dealer to put you in touch with people like In-Houses Solutions who can provide you with a wide variety of functionnal mill-turn post for any combination (3-4-5 axis, single-dual turrets, single or dual spindle). I'm sure there are others also like ICAM, etc...

A great software with a poor post won't do anything good.

But a good software with a solid post can do amazing things.

People often understimate the importance of the post-processor they are using, as in fact it is the only part that can translate properly to the machine what you want it to do through the software.

I don't wnat to offend anyone with this last comment but that's what I commonly see.

HTH

quote:

I didn't take this as a good sign.

It means they are still learning what is actually involved as opposed to simply dragging their heels because of a cost/benefit analysis.

They should have had people embedded at Mazak in Florence for the past 5 years.

For anyone at MC to become marginally knowledgeable about MTM from using the machine in a "lab" setting would take years.

CNC Software isn't just a bunch of software geeks - there are plenty of people there that have experience running machines.

I don't know about the inner workings of cad/cam development, but I'm sure machine builders want to remain impartial and may not just allow people to be embedded at their company no matter how much it benefits them

(I know this from other machine industries)

Just saying it's not as simple

Guest SAIPEM

quote:

CNC Software isn't just a bunch of software geeks - there are plenty of people there that have experience running machines.

I don't know about the inner workings of cad/cam development, but I'm sure machine builders want to remain impartial and may not just allow people to be embedded at their company no matter how much it benefits them

(I know this from other machine industries)

Just saying it's not as simple

No offense, you're a very young guy in this business and most of us have been around it for over 20+ years.

You couldn't be more incorrect.

If CNC knew MTM in any meaningful way, the product would show it.

You are also completely off-base about the machine tool builders.

The relationship Mori-Seiki has with DP Technology shows how completely wrong you are.

dfehrman:

1. you as was mentioned you have a post issue for the G112 functionality. Download the mplmaster lathe post from in house and give it a try. With your current post if you start your lead in at C0.0 you shouldn't have any issues, this may mean using a perpendicular lead in or possibly even drawing your lead in and not using the lead in/out page at all.

2.Your D+Z+ isn't sticking because you have the "update tplane/cplane when changing graphics view" checkbox checked in your settings configuration. Uncheck it and your t/c plane will not change unless you change it manually. Or you could add a hotkey or a RMB button for "planes = +D+Z" to make it easy.

3. your stock transfer just needs to be setup in the post. The stock transfer toolpath has two functions, passing some values to the post, and moving the stock/geometry from main to sub.

I'm not saying mastercam doesn't need some work but many issues come down to getting a little help and good post.

HTH

quote:

Your D+Z+ isn't sticking because you have the "update tplane/cplane when changing graphics view" checkbox checked in your settings configuration. Uncheck it and your t/c plane will not change unless you change it manually. Or you could add a hotkey or a RMB button for "planes = +D+Z" to make it easy.

Can't you set that right in your machine def also, under General Machining parameters, so it is defaulted to the machine you select?

quote:

hey Kaz, where at in MI are ya?

Tip of the thumb. biggrin.gif

quote:

No offense, you're a very young guy in this business and most of us have been around it for over 20+ years.

You couldn't be more incorrect.

If CNC knew MTM in any meaningful way, the product would show it.

You are also completely off-base about the machine tool builders.

The relationship Mori-Seiki has with DP Technology shows how completely wrong you are.

If you didn't mean any offence you wouldn't have rubbed it in so hard wink.gif

I'm not completely off-base about all the builders. Maybe since cnc machine builders don't all have their own software it's a different story, but in other industries, being a non-oem software developer isn't so straightforward.

quote:

I don't work at either company, do you? business relationships are complex. right?

I'm not saying you're wrong, or what you're suggesting is. I wasn't the first time either.

from a previous posting.

quote:

What would be truly appreciated is an honest statement from CNC Software about MTM and where it stands.

Considering the many broken promises regarding MTM, it seems only fair that that some kind statement or press release should be made.

The lack of 'official' statements regarding MTM are only alienating loyal and patient customers.

cheers.gif

This thread did go a bit off topic. But, we are still patiently waiting for that "official statement" from CNC software on where they stand on this. wink.gif