Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

REMAINING STOCK AND STL

PaulR

Hello

I was wondering if it was possible once I created my first roughing toolpath to save that stl file and use it as my new stock in my next roughing tool path. Basically I want to hog out as much material as I can using a flat end mill and then I want to start using my ball to start machine the leftover. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I use it constantly. Accurate and works well, as long as you keep your STL files below 10MB. Using a triangle reduction program is very useful (OK, a must wink.gif ). I use VRMesh Studio, but Magics and others are good too.

I don't use it as stock, but as the "cad file" in rest mill.

• 1 month later...

Hello

I saved my stl file but when I create a new machine group and select this as my stock it still treats it as a rectangular stock. I want to use surface rough pocket and use the stl file I created. Are you actually using this file or is this just for visualization purposes only?

You have to go pick the button under verbose in the verify window and tell it the file name. I use this all day long on very large files. Works well. Little hassle to change the file name but at least you don't have to wait for tools that are good to get to the point you want to see. Save the .stl somewhere easy to find.

Paul,

The "stock setup" feature in Machine Group Properties is used to display stock on the screen, and to setup the initial stock placement for Verify. It is not used for toolpath calculations.

You asked about Surface Rough Pocket. Surface Rough Pocket has no material recognition, except for a 'containment boundary', which is a wireframe chain that tells the toolpath two things: shape of the stock "block", and where the material starts in Z.

To get material recognition for the toolpath to calculate, you need to use a different toolpath: Surface Rough Restmill.

The restmill toolpath needs three geometry components usually: Drive surfaces/solids (what you want to cut), an STL file that is the shape of the remaining material (saved from Verify, selected using the CAD file option on the selection dialog box), and a containment boundary (helps the toolpath to not create excessive, unnecessary motion).

In order for this to work properly, and be less of a headache, do not use the "stock view" feature in stock setup. Otherwise when you save your STL from verify, it will be in the wrong spot. Only use the system Top view for your stock view.

You can use Xform STL to see your STL model and reposition it if necessary, but I try not to go down that road...