Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X4 MU3 stability with larger files

Hello everybody,

I just switched from X2MR2sp1 to X4 MU3 and am having some pretty serious problems with crashes on larger files. Everything usually runs fine with the smaller ones, but once the file size exceed 50mb and contains many ops and such, I get random crashes. X2MR2sp1 will run perfectly using same computer and part file type. SolidWorks and everything else runs fine also. I haven't spent too much time troubleshooting as I have been trying to finish a job, but unfortunately, the crashes finally caused by Raid controller to scramble and I lost several days.

Does anyone else have this issue or is it just me? I am wondering if its a freak thing on my computer or just the way X4 is.

Thanks in advance!

Basic workstation

XP pro 32bit

4gb ram with 3gig switch enabled

FX1400 with driver, 6.14.11.8246(3-17-2009)

Mike

Currently working on a file with 28 operations and 382 megs in size.

Between random crashes, Unhandled Exception crashes, Memory Allocation errors, Verify Crashes, massive lag time, it is amazing I have any hair left and that I have nearly completed this job.

It almost makes me pine for my days with UG.

Another set of issues but I could this without fighting it so darn much.

I really appreciate all of the input from everyone. Unfortunately, it seems like there really isn't much of a pattern here.

One of my main concerns is the Quadro FX 1400. It is kind of old. I will purchase a newer generation card and try it at some point. After that, I will be stumped.

Thanks again

Mike,

you might want to concider Win7x64 and 8 to 12 meg of ram too.

I know Mastercam can't use all that ram, but the rest of the system can, and everything is more stable because of it.

You'll note both the guys stating no problems with large files are running win7x64

Hello gcode,

The big bummer is that X2 handles parts like this just fine. I also did the same type of parts with V9 using an AMD Athlon 64 3200+. No problems at all.

I suppose it has to do with allocations and stuff. I could not of planned for it is all.

What about you, do you have crashes?

Thanks for the info

quote:

What about you, do you have crashes?

no..one a month is a bad month

my work box is Xpx32 4 meg ram and FX-3450.

but most of my work is 3+2. File sizes

in the 50 -60 meg range

I do some 5X impellers files using advanced 5x toolpaths that get pretty big, but those files are rock solid.

You probably know this.. but if a file is crashing alot, reload your machine def and make sure your temp folder is cleared out.

When the parts get beyond ~100mb, I used to have problems on my old laptop running XP+32bit+quaddro550, and 2mb ram.

I have a feeling that it's related to memory allocation/garbage cleaning, as the problems seem to progress.

If I run ram-saver or shut down mastercam every 30 mins to 1h when working with a file over 100mb .. I don't have any problems.

If I work all day, I start getting random unhandled exceptions, memory errors, etc.

it's not the best workaround, but give it a shot.

If you've got a jet computer the startup time for MCX isn't an issue

Hello Jay,

X4 MU3 actually runs fine except with larger files. IE: 80mb 200+ ops + several large stls's for rest roughing. Even then, it runs fine except for more crashes than I would like. I just can't deal with major blow ups on parts like this. My point was X2 will be fine with the same part on the same box.

Thank you,