Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

how long will mastercam be around

i heard a rumor that mastercam is going to merge with another cad/cam company. i know it's just a rumor. and i know i will get an answer from this site. besides the rumor, i mean, we are at ver.9 now. how many versions do you guys think it will go to before you just load a print and have mastercam do it for you. i know this sounds like a stupid ?. and i know a rumor is a rumor. but this is just so that i can sleep at night biggrin.gif thanks.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I've net heard that one either. I'm with g-code though, it would be Mastercam doing the eating. It's still a privately held company, there's three principal owners (to the best of my knowledge). They are customer driven NOT stock price/shareholder driven. This is a good thing for the folks that use it day in and day out. I shoudl be getting hold of V9.1 Beta within the next couple of days as I am a Beta Tester. Lots of new stuff though I'll not elaborate as that is strictly verboten (forbidden in German).

ARTY2000,

Rumors will always run rampant; this is nothing new to any software company.

If Mastercam was an attractive proposition to another company, its major attraction would be the end users of world’s largest and most successful cam solution on the market today.

I was disappointed to read the article in Modern Machine Shops August edition as written by Cimdata’s Vice President; as published on page 72 “CNC Software moves to the top of the list” “Mastercam is often considered to be the defacto cam software product.” The article is based upon sales dollars rather than seats sold or popularity of the cam software.

If Cnc Software did swallow or merge with another company, I will only make their product that much stronger or better in the long term.

“How versions do you guys think it will go to before you just load a print and have Mastercam do it for you?”

I have heard this argument many times before and beg to differ on this statement.

If I gave 12 different people a basic task – all twelve would give a different result.

Some would square a block taking equal amounts off each side.

Some would machine only two or three sides.

Some might leave a larger grind allowance than others, etc!

Which criteria would produce the best (in tolerance) part?

Who could say which part is the best & why?

Which criteria would produce the fastest & most efficient process?

If the workpiece is 2 ¼” square – would a computer choose a 2 ½” Facemill? 3” Facemill? , or multipass with a 2” Facemill?, Shoulder cut or 45deg lead?

These decisions are what we as human beings choose to do; all of it is based upon rigidity of setup and most importantly, our ability to reason and foresee problems all learned through trial & error. Computers cannot rationalize, they can only add one’s & zero’s. Software is no different; it can only offer a generalized argument and present fly outs to satisfy our input & final solution.

Before I die, I would like to see two things:

A disintegrating ray gun that will allow a lot of material to be removed without imparting any stress to the remaining material.

A monitor that will show a workpiece in real 3D, as I walk around in a circle – viewing it.

I realize that I might appear foolish with these wishes; but, was the microwave oven or fax machine not an outrageous thought at one time?

Regards, Jack

LOL!!!!

So I presume CNC Software is going to buy Surfwares 2D technologies so our 2D machining will become lame, and their 3D algoriths so our surface machining will become limited, inflexible, and start gouging the part?

Hey, while we're at it, let's license their post processor also so it will take us 3 years to dial in a simple 3D post. biggrin.gif

[ 09-09-2002, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Charles Davis ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Version 10 will NOT be associative. It will be like version 6 was - except in fully compliant Windows code.

That's some good $#!+ you're smoking. Howzabout sharing some with the rest of us! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

[ 09-09-2002, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

Brian,

Please read the article; it is based on the sales volume, Mastercam only received an honorable mention - this is what disturbed me.

The quotes that I put forth were the only positives rendered.

This article smacks of “the pay-off, the topping up of the beer glass”

Why promote the sales volume – the big three or four of the automotive sectors have a lot of clout in this arena; Mastercam unfortunately does not enter the realm of tremendous cost of the extremely expensive solutions that Cimdata refers to.

I am curious as to why the Vice President choose to publish in the first place.

Be grateful that he does indeed acknowledge that Mastercam is in-fact the de-facto standard that other cam solutions are measured against.

Regards, Jack