Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Helix onto a cone on rotary table.

GREG

You might want to try Transform/Unroll

to unwind the helix from the cone.

Then use a contour toolpath with the roll option in rotary options to wrap it back around the cone.

I've used this method a lot on cyclinders. I don't know if it would work on a cone as the

unroll/roll diameter is not constant.

quote:

Rotary settings worked well.

But where is that in the instruction book. There must be a heap of things Mcam can do that are not documented

There are many things that are documented, and many that are not. The tutorials are great and give a great base to start from but there is no replacement for training and experience. There is a reason the School of hard knocks hasn't closed yet. I know I have many knocks headed my way yet.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN

Curious to know what the part looked like. Were there some nice surfaces that you could have used flow5ax for and then follow the settings to get the desired toolpath. Using pivot axis or pivot points, you may be able to get the specfic code that you want. Is this helix at a constant Z or do you need to actually put it on the taper of the cone?

Here is another question - In Australia, (the Southern Hemisphere), do your rotary axes rotate opposite to the way ours does in the Northern Hemisphere???