Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Pinewood Derby: Again

Davidgil

Make sure you make it out of pine (no oak or other species). They'll diqualify you. I tried oak because pine splintered so easily on the machining center - and was sent packing along with a long faced little boy (until it was covered by ice cream and hot fudge).

Fatty,

Guess the Ice Cream wouldn't melt that fast in the Yukon Territory, (this is actually where Yellow Knife is!)

-40 Degrees will keep it nice and fresh in January.

A more appropriate home town would be xxxx Saskatchewan - or Goose-yer-gramma NewFoundLand.

[ 11-04-2002, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Andrew McRae ]

Fatty McButterpants,

Where ever do you people come up with such handles? Kudo’s for the most original name.

I too am guilty of trying to increase the odds of the famous Cub Scout racers.

I took my son into the washroom at Lynden Park Mall in Brantford, Ontario – I proceeded to spray the axels with liquid graphite – which would ensure a smooth glide to the finish – NOT, this stuff melted the plastic! I quickly dipped the beast into the toilet – but alas the damage was done; I cannot possibly tell you of the pain of looking at his face when his car came in miserably last. – What was I thinking – dohh!

If you want the kid to win a race, then please involve him in the design and machining process. Please do not take a generous offer for an easy kill from that of a proven racing model, Duplicate it by all means – or better it; Andrew will likely have the ability to calculate drag co-efficiencies or the like.

This is not a winning is the only way situation – this is your child’s self esteem.

Please cherish the fun and watch him lose graciously - just like the rest of us.

Regards, Jack

I turned the wheels, shafts(nails), and put grooves in the nails. I forget the spray I used, but it was for quick release of parts from molds. Worked great and no mess. With MC, you can calculate the exact weight of the car, with or without the lead in it. We went off on this car. I am getting kind of excited. Maybe I will make another one just to have one of my own. wink.gif

Also to go along with what Jack said, let the kid be involved with all aspects of what you are doing. I routinely let my kids "play" with Mastercam and my machines. The kid I made the derby car for, did al,ost everything except for the painting. His dad was kind of anal about that.

[ 11-04-2002, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Trevor Bailey ]

Jack

I didn't think I needed to explain the details, but it appears I may have given you the wrong impression. I'm simply looking for an example of a mastercam model for a pinewood derby car. We actually have about 4 kits for cars, one of which we thought would be fun to make on the VMC. We'll also do some hand cut models.

As for winning the race, we run fairly strict to the rules in our cub troop. No chamfered wheels, altered axle's, etc. Any way, just wanted to clear up the fact that I'm not building my sons car for him. We're just adding some extra 'neato' factor to the experience.

Dave

Hi all

I to made the speedy Pine wood durby as a cub scout, and again as my boy made his.We used the mastercam to draw with, but we cut it by hand. This might be the last generation to do so.I started with three kits just to have some back up.I inspected all the parts and took the best componets for the car. No custom speed machining was done to any parts . When it was all complete, it looked and ran pretty good and he still has it.

But if I was going to make a project for myself,I would start with the Forum shark modle. I would paint it life like,put the wheelz on it, and not give a care if my art car was going to win.

Bullines has corrected my geography mistake, imagine my shock when on the way to work this morning a CBC reporter on the radio was covering an election victory for the Yukon Party. She signed off from Whitehorse! I didn't get the gold star when I was six, and it still isn't shining now.

This Pinewood or CubCar Rally was a highlight of my childhood as well, and we never cheated...

There is a CARTEMP sample file in M/Cam that lets you, or your son, create random splines, and then loft surfaces from those splines (mirror & blend) to create a unique car body. Very cool demo, I think. To win, your enemy is friction. Add lead weights to the bottom of the car, have it weighed at the race & remove lead until you're just under the limit. Polish the nail shafts with a drill & fine sandpaper or grit from a hobby shop & add POWDERED graphite. I never heard of not being able to chamfer wheels but certainly stick to the rules. And let your boy have fun. I did all of the above & my son was BARELY knocked out of the first race by the winner of the past 3 years. We never got a second chance to race anyone else. So the building of the car may be most fun you have with your son. Good luck!

I did involve him in the process - it was fun. He was 8 years old, brought him into the shop, made him wear a big old pair of safety glasses that matched mine, showed him the model on the computer screen, let him start up the machine and hit the go button. Lots of "Wow - cool!"'s coming out of him.

Hopefully, he'll get a doctorate in medicine instead of becoming a shop rat like his dear old dad. eek.gif

Thanks again everyone for your replys, and Trevor for sending the files. I'll take a look at them when I get to work. I still have the cars my dad and I made when I was a kid, and I'm hoping my son has a similar experience. I don't remember if I won or lost, but I remember helping my dad build the cars.

Dave