Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

surface finish contour problem

HEAVY METAL

i am machining a 10 der angle on edge of part .i'm using a .250 ball endmill and stepping it down.my problem is the ball endmill does not come completely off the part .does any know a simple way to extend the toolpath a little past the surface.i trie extending the surface,but it won't do it in the direction i want.error comes telling me cannot extend a trimmed surface

thanks heavy

Heavy Metal,

Which side of the surface do you want to extend the toolpath by? If it's at the ends where the toolpath steps down to the next cut, you may be able to use the Tangential Arc and Angle lead off move that's at the bottom of your Gap settings button. This is a good way of getting the tool to go past the edge in the direction of cut. HTH biggrin.gif

The Tangential moves are only available with Parallel toolpaths. Surface-Contour doesn't have that capability. Instead you could create a secondary surface from the edge curves of the original surface and include the secondary surface with your drive surfaces.

[ 12-13-2002, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Peter Scott ]

!!!!!!Just draw another surfaces in the area where you are looking to extend. It works well. In fact, you can put your own surfaces anywhre to help extend or act as a containment boundary. I hope I'm not the only one who does this. You can force that tool to go or don't go just about anywhere.!!!!!

Danny