Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam Or Work N/C?

deerslayer3244

Hey Guy's

I'm a Program Manager at a modular fixture shop in Michigan. The Owner put in charge of buying new N/C software. So I figured I would ask the expert's which software is better. Our basic needs for this software are being able to Surface and cut small details on a Fadal 80/30 or Fadal 40/20 VMC, originated from Catia, Unigraphics, and Autocad software. I know how much Work N/C cost's, however I can not find a price comparison for Mastercam anywhere on the net. Price is always a concern, however it will not be the deciding factor in this case. If any of you out there could give me some insight on this program I can use to make my decision. I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks Gary cheers.gif

I can tell you that a full blown Mill level 3would cost you approximately the same as Work nc, but sounds like you might only need level 1 or 2(don't know costs). I've not used Work Nc, from what I hear its a very good program but it is strictly a cam system. Mastercam is also a very good cam system with the added benefit of 3d cad. With your local Mastercam dealer and the use of this forum you can't beat the service you will get from Mastercam. Very quick responses to your questions on this forum.

I have never had any problems importing files from Pro-e, Catia, Solid Works, or Inventor into Mastercam.

C'mon man,Your on a mastercam forum are we really going to say "hey, you oughta buy work NC", not gonna happen.I evaluated it about a year ago for our shop and it was 25 % more cost

than mill level 3.User friendliness NOT. no excellnt forum such as this where you can get most technical answers at 2:00 a.m. its great.

Try doing some 2d drawing and cutting in work NC.

I have eval. 6 other cam systems in the last 3 years some have really good features but #4# I gotta stick with the champ. biggrin.gif

MASTERCAM there I even spelled it out for ya.

OH yea welcome to our humble forum. cheers.gif

I am a very new Mastercam user and I hope that this point of reference/view might help. I looked for about 5 months doing research, going to Westec, having demos done and what I found out is that there are 2 extremly big benifits to Mastercam (and yes, I am learning more benifits every day). The first big advantage is that Mastercam is so user friendly that I have been able to figure out a lot of things on my own without tech support and that translated into machines running fairly quickly. The second issue is that out here in southern california, you can't swing a 3 iron without hitting someone who knows how to at least do some 2D work in Mastercam! The NTMA Training Centers (my favorite) and several community colleges teach Mastercam. Tech service may be great with some other but not having to special train people when hiring for a position; that is powerful and a great value for the dollar. Another note would be that tech support out here (Cad-Cam Consutants, HB) has been great. HTH and ciao cool.gif

quote:

The Owner put in charge of buying new N/C software.

Avoid comparing brochure to brochure, every software looks great on

there prepared demo.

Locate a dealer , that will show up and give

a Brand-X- demo on one of your parts.

Locate a Mastercam dealer , that will show up and give

a demo on one of your parts.

Repeat until you see what your looking for.

[ 01-18-2003, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

Guy's,

The reason I posted a message in this forum is because I was leaning toward Mastercam, and just wanted to have some hard copy comments to show the owner. I appreciate your input and comments. I knew up front that I would get a bias opinion, however I had a feeling some of you would have had experience with both programs, and I was right. Thanks for your speedy replies, and comments. I look forward to getting involved more in this forum, and I'm sure I'll have many more questions as time goes by.

Thanks Gary

Trevor,

That is a very good suggestion, and I am going to look into getting a sample disc tomorrow. Also I plan to setup this forum tomorrow on our server, for everyone to see how, this site will benefit us with first hand support from the guys that use the forum and software evey day. I'm very pleased all the interest and help I have been receiving with my search for information.

Thanks to all for your help

Gary cheers.gif

Hey Guy's

To answer the first question about my location in Michigan. We are located in a city called Warren, It's about 18 miles north of downtown Detroit. By the way you guys are tops in my book. I showed the forum to the Big guy today and he was impressed that I took the bull by the horns and not only researched the software, but also found a support forum as well. I see V.P. in my future. Well, anyway I have a rep coming in on Weds. to demo the software. I will keep you informed on how things workout. Again, you guys really came through for me and I appreciate it. By the way, I'm not just a paper jockey, I spent 18 years on the floor, programming, designing and building, before I worked my way into Management. So I know where you are coming from as well.

Thanks Gary

Hi !

I am working at mold shop. So we have to cut many 2D and 3D complicate parts .

We found that Mastercam match better for 2D stuff not bad for 3D too (Excellent tool for mold maker).

But for 3D WorkNC works better . Fast calculation, easy to use, create safe, gauge free tool path. This is my personal opinion

Regards to All.

[ 01-22-2003, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: mikhael gutman ]