Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MasterCAM in need of...

jadaro

I heartily agree that mastercam is one of the best software titles for CNC, however..

I really think its menue system could be a little less windows 3.1 looking.

(Version 9.1 is the version i'm talking about to.)

It looks as if its not taking the least bit advantage of the Windows API. Now I'm sure there are plenty of API calls, but take a look.

Mastercam has no easy to access puldown menue system. (A menue system like all of us have on our web browsers...just look at the file menue, it has a tree structure to it if one or more options are subcategorized)

Mastercam should take advantage of today's high end graphics card, or atleast a GeForce 3 equivalent for max performance testing. (The reason I say this is because the verify function is nice to see non jittery. -Perhaps it my school's poor video card- I haven't tested it on my GF-TI 4600, and most likly never will, as I have opted for LINUX from now on.)

Re-Organizing that menue system will make it easier for students (or anyone for that matter) to navigate through the options.

Now, there may already be this feature, or maybe not: Completely customizeable tool bars would be nice.

It looks like MasterCAM is spcifically made for the proprietayr windows environment, so why is it that it still looks like a windows 3.11 program?

I am a former AutoCAD user, I Highly reccomend taking a hint from AutoDesk when it comes to interface.

I'm anxious to hear any comments.

[ 02-11-2003, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: jadaro ]

Hi Jadaro,

It was a big step for Mastercam to have the menue bar across the top.

Because of the power and complexity of what Mastercam does, it has been a huge challenge to change to a fully Windows integrated system and keep it somewhat familiar to the old timers.

But just hang on. Ver 10, I am told, will be Windows integrated and have the style GUI you are looking for. I was told it will have cut and paste. We will see.

cheers.gif Hehe, sounds like version 10 will be something to look forward to.

*jadaro is suddenly reminded of something out of 2001 a space odyssey...something about an evolution in use of tools,( and a big purrdy humming domino shaped black monolith )*

[ 02-11-2003, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: jadaro ]

I hope that, in the transition to the new interface, MasterCAM retains the keyboard accessability the current menu structure allows. I like being able to type FG to open a file, or CLE to draw an endpoint line. AutoCAD lost some click-saving steps during the transition to a Windows-centric GUI (anyone remember how the pull-down menus worked in R12 DOS?). I would hate to see a useful feature like this go away just to keep from losing marketing points.

Now if I'll get a command line and/or floating toolbar sets that re-configure themselvs according to the task I am engaged in (i.e. Inventor or Mechanical Desktop), I take it all back. I'll trade CLE, FG, and even CLEVP for a set of smart floating toolbars. Or a command line. No need to get greedy...

Ooooh yes. I'm highly anticipating the rumored switch for v10. I agree with Rick, the hot keys kick a$$ but I also would give 'em up for some smart floating toolbars.

Good movie Jack wink.gif I suggest next you watch the classic Romper Stomper or, if you can stomach it, the greatest movie ever created - Cannibal Holocaust......I wonder who the real cannibals really are eek.gif

[ 02-12-2003, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: Zero ]

As Rick Damiani does, so do I. After many years at a CAD program with keyboard functions, your fingers memorize location of commands, which in my opinion is much faster than dragging lil mouse around. Those GUI menus sure look pretty, and understand they are usefull for some users, but im hoping that MC does not do away with commands.

Maybe im just Old-School, that needs to get on with evolution. i still have not figured out windows explorer, prefer old norton commander file-manager.

It wouldn't be hard at all to add the old shortcuts in, all the would have to do is add alt+ functionality to it,

Standard windows menues incorporate key shortcuts as it is already.

Hit Alt+F and you bring down the File menue.

Notice, perhaps, on your browser the menue bar has a certain letter underlined on each menue its, on mine File has the letter F underlined. In each of the pulldowns, there is a seperate letter shortcut for each item. smile.gif

Hit (Alt , while holding down Alt, hit F-hence Alt+F) Alt+F, (Let go of alt and F at this point and hit the letter of the menue item you want.) ..in Mozilla, hitting the letter Alt+F,O will bring up the Open document dialouge.

Old schoolers need not worry, they could easily perserve the shortcuts, all you would have to change is leanring to hit the ALT button plus the initial menue item, then your standard shortcut keys.

[ 02-12-2003, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: jadaro ]

quote:

Old schoolers need not worry, they could easily perserve the shortcuts, all you would have to change is leanring to hit the ALT button plus the initial menue item, then your standard shortcut keys.

Um, not quite. Using that you'd not be able to (for example) switch from 1-entity trim to 2-entity trim and back by hitting 12. I guess we'll have to wait and see, and hope for smart toolbars.

quote:

I hope that, in the transition to the new interface, MasterCAM retains the keyboard accessability the current menu structure allows. I like being able to type FG to open a file, or CLE to draw an endpoint line. AutoCAD lost some click-saving steps during the transition to a Windows-centric GUI

I really hope we don't have to do without the single key method that's served us so well for so long. It would be truly sad.

Personally, I can't stand having to use my mouse, and don't much care for having to hit ALT every time I want to CAD or CLPD or FS or FG or or or...

IMO, CNC would be making a step backwards by removing this very easy menu system. Like I've said before, I much prefer a user friendly interface to a "pretty" interface. Makes no sense to compromise Quality for Appearance. confused.gif

'Rekd

quote:

I hope that, in the transition to the new interface, MasterCAM retains the keyboard accessability the current menu structure allows. I like being able to type FG to open a file, or CLE to draw an endpoint line. AutoCAD lost some click-saving steps during the transition to a Windows-centric GUI

I also love using the single key method. In fact I have adjusted all the hot keys for SW to be the same as MC. It is really a hugh time saver. By the time a person can move his/her mouse over to a tool bar and click it I have usually finished my operation. When I started learning how to program with MC the head programmer here made me learn the key short cuts. I have never regreted it.

JMTC

Steve Sibiski cheers.gif

quote:

I also love using the single key method. In fact I have adjusted all the hot keys for SW to be the same as MC. It is really a hugh time saver. By the time a person can move his/her mouse over to a tool bar and click it I have usually finished my operation. When I started learning how to program with MC the head programmer here made me learn the key short cuts. I have never regreted it.

I agree. By the time I've pressed DAC14EnterD someone using the mouse to do all selections would not even have the color menu up yet. And using the alt+key to do these things would then take up some of the alt+key I already use for say the level manager, WCS manager or create bounding box or etc.. I have a 5 button programable mouse and have functions like gview/rotate zoom and ESC programmed to my mouse by also using the alt+key combinations. The more I think about it, the menu system doent bother me at all, the hot keys are a huge time saver and I think it actually works much faster than having drop downs all over the place. I would just like to have more than 1 dockable toolbars because shuffling through the toolbar at the top with the arrows is just a pain in the a$$.

[ 02-14-2003, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Zero ]

I really like the Solid Edge menu system. It is fully Windows integrated and intuitive and easy to use. It can also be learned in a very short time.

I am sure to be in the minority when I say my absolute preference would be a Linux version. Microsoft is just becoming too domineering.

quote:

I am sure to be in the minority when I say my absolute preference would be a Linux version. Microsoft is just becoming too domineering.

I'd be very surprised to see a Linux version, actually. Folks that use Linux are, for the most part, unwilling to pay for software. That makes it hard for a developer to justify any signifigant investments in Linux.

Hi Rick,

I think you are right to some extent. But that is changing as more and more people are learning that the "free" means access to the source code and not the cost of the programs.

Even though some of the Linux software I have is free of cost, I have opted for paid versions, both to contribute to the effort of producing them and to receive better support.

The biggest problem would probably be the scumbags that use or make available bootleg copies of Mastercam.

quote:

I think you are right to some extent. But that is changing as more and more people are learning that the "free" means access to the source code and not the cost of the programs.

You are aware that, using this definition, Windows XP is 'free' software, right?

quote:

Even though some of the Linux software I have is free of cost, I have opted for paid versions, both to contribute to the effort of producing them and to receive better support.

The biggest problem would probably be the scumbags that use or make available bootleg copies of Mastercam.

The nature an ideals of the free software movement argue heavaly against the involvement of companies like CNC Software. Until the climate of that movement changes, I don't think you'll see much high-end software in that space. Even if Microsoft were to vanish tomorrow, I think you'd see folks like Sun take thier place, as they espouse a model that actually allows developers to survive. If Linux were to do that, it would cease being Linux.

quote:

Mastercam will stay with a trend .

The trend is Windows.

I am a great fan of Linux .

Use it from Red Hat 4.

Now I use Mandrake 9.

It is good and stable ,I can do a lot of things so simple that is a headache to do with Windows.

But it is not a main trend.

It is not for a common user (not so lamish) as Windows , it demands a good basic knowledge of Unix,pc and lot of other things .

There is Mac .

I love Macs .Used to work on them a lot .

Have a sort of nostalgy .They are simple in use and stable ,they are cool.

But they are not a main trend .They are less then 10 percent of market and who will write programs for less then 10 percent?

And they are expencive ,hard to upgrade and to repair.

Those who tried to repair Macs will agree with me. They are going to divide the fate of Amiga ,that I love also which was so cool and cute.

And what left ?

O/S 2 ? No way.

BeOS ? Dead.

Lindows ? The dead end -the OS to use windows applications under linux based on WINE.

So Mastercam and other cad cam programs will be written for Windows till the trend will change.

And we will see who will be the next monster.

Speaking about interface,menues and so on -

I don`t need the Windows looking interface,

I am for a simple one like it is now .

At work you don`t need beauty of the web browsers ,

the speed is a goal and with this interface using shortcuts and custom icons I work really fast !

What I need are more fundamental things like numerous undo or surface contOUR with z scallope changing, select visuable surfaces and so on.

THE REAL STUFF!

[ 02-17-2003, 06:36 AM: Message edited by: plasttav ]

quote:

I don`t need the Windows looking interface,

I am for a simple one like it is now .

At work you don`t need beauty of the web browsers ,

the speed is a goal and with this interface using shortcuts and custom icons I work really fast !

Besides the obvious UI differences, it should be noted that there are other advantages to be had with a Windows-complient app. Improved memory utilization and multithreading are just a couple of things that can be taken advantage of in a Windows environment.

quote:

There is Mac .

I love Macs .Used to work on them a lot .

Have a sort of nostalgy .They are simple in use and stable ,they are cool.

But they are not a main trend .They are less then 10 percent of market and who will write programs for less then 10 percent?

Don't forget that MacOS X is based on FreeBSD, a Unix-like OS. Unix developers can now easily develop for MacOS X, too wink.gif

quote:

Besides the obvious UI differences, it should be noted that there are other advantages to be had with a Windows-complient app. Improved memory utilization and multithreading are just a couple of things that can be taken advantage of in a Windows environment.

That`s true but this is REAL STUFF .

And there may be a possibility to stay with an old interface like Surfcam did and others.