Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT Right Angle Head - Opinions

Nominal

Dear Fellow MC Users,

We're looking to purchase a right angle head for VMC's. Preferably the smallest one we can get to fit into small parts. Also if the angle was variable that would be great. I was looking at Lyndex ER-20 flex. Kinda pricey but I'm sure its better than some 3rd world country piece of crap. If anybody's bought something like this lately I'd appreciate any suggestions or horror stories you might have. Thanks. cheers.gif

We have some Alberti heads, they have worked great for us. Actually, we have two heads that were backup for a particular job for sale that have just drilled and tapped a couple dozen 10-32 holes in aluminum if you are interested. Sorry for the shameless spam but we want about half of what a new one sells for and it might help a fellow Mastercam shop.

Kevin,

Are those fixed 90 degrees? Whats the smallest ID it can fit into at 90? I have a bunch of jobs I have to install holes from the ID out, so I have size limitations. The heads have to fit down inside my parts. What taper are they? Whats the max RPM they're rated for? What sorta collets do they use? Do you have the positioning blocks for them? Thanks. wink.gif

quote:

the list price is on there; about $50K if I read it right

I saw the note saying "fraction" of the cost for a conventional 5-axis machine. Once I finally picked myself up from the floor, I fell over again, (from shock this time, not laughter) when I realized they were serious.

*GASP*

I went back later from home and checked it out a bit more. Very neat stuff indeed!

'Rekd teh Technology: What a great time to be alive.

[ 04-11-2003, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

Well, they are talking about integration, servos, gearing, etc. I guess that's gonna cost some $. I like the requirements where they list "CAD/CAM system"; as if I was going to bust out my trig tables, calculator, and a pad of paper to program that 5-ax pocket profiling tongue.gif

I don't know about you guys, but I don't think I'd be really comfortable putting a 50,000 tool in any spindle. I don't imagine you could put a 1" hogmill in there and start wailing on some inco either. In the end after you've ripped out all your hair and kicked every dog in the neighborhood, a real 5-axis machine will look good no matter what it costs. wink.gif

quote:

I don't think I'd be really comfortable putting a 50,000 tool in any spindle.

It seems like it is a bolt-on, not retained by the spindle of the machine. The taper you see sticking up from the unit probably floats up and down on a splined shaft or something and gets pulled up into the spindle to transmit spindle power while the whole unit is probably bolted to an adapter plate.

quote:

I don't imagine you could put a 1" hogmill in there and start wailing on some inco either

I believe that it says something about 3/4" max tool diameter in there. I think the idea is to rough out the cavity or shape you want using the regular 3 axis machine, then bolt up the 5-ax add-on unit to do the finishing; seems like a pretty cool idea but I don't know much about that type of work.

Sorry about hijacking your thread.

C

The Alberti's are fixed 90 and can be rotated 360 degree's axially (?). Model #T90-1.5. Cat 40 connection and takes ER16 collets. 4000 RPM max. The business end is roughly 1.60" wide by 3.125" from the back to the end of the collet nut. Complete with locating lug, collet nut wrench, grease, documentation and hard case. They were run in properly. Email me on the side if you are interested and I can send pic's and I will try to answer any questions. Thanks

quote:

It seems like it is a bolt-on, not retained by the spindle of the machine.

It's still between the face of the spindle and the table. S*$T happens.

quote:

then bolt up the 5-ax add-on unit to do the finishing;

So you're suggesting that you just keep slapping this thing in and out of the machine in the middle of each part?

quote:

Sorry about hijacking your thread.

No problemo. I thought it was interesting too, although as you can probably tell I'm a bit skeptical. cheers.gif

We have one of the Lyndex right-angle units here. It is nice for certain tasks, but.... You have to keep the tool changer stations clear on both sides of the right-angle tool (in essence it takes 3 stations) unless you use very small tool holders on either side. Getting the head "dialed in" along the axis we wanted was an exercize in frustration. Changing the tool in the middle of a run is also rather "interesting" from a tool setting perspective. You also have to make your own spindle adapter for the lug on the tool to fit into (you get a socket piece, but must make the adapter). We also noted that the right-angle head tends to get rather warm at higher speeds. All-in-all, it proved much easier for us to use our 4th-axis setup with a tombstone to handle the job we had intended to use the right-angle head on.

quote:

So you're suggesting that you just keep slapping this thing in and out of the machine in the middle of each part?

I think that's the idea; or you rough a few out and then finish them. I don't think these are intended for 30 minute parts; probably 10 hour parts.

C

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...as if I was going to bust out my trig tables, calculator, and a pad of paper to program that 5-ax pocket profile...

ROFL!!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Excuse me while I pick myself off the floor. That was hilarious! I'm still laughing, eyes watering, the whole 9 yards.

quote:

They are a bit hefty. I would not take this thing in and out. I'd dedicate it to only finishing.

That IS a CAT-40 holder poking out of that thing for those of you wondering. See the renention stud? Thst's how it attaches.

JM2C

[ 04-12-2003, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

• 2 weeks later...

At Tri-Tech we use a regular bridgeport right angle head that we have made an adapter for. It seems plenty rigid and is very easy to install.

We use it to cut a large stainless forging and use 3/4 ruffers. We also have an op with a Haas indexer and the right angle.

Pretty neat stuff.