Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

dynamic milling

Robert Ouellette

I finally got the boss to let me have some time with x4 and the new dynamic milling tool paths. they work great and the boss is very happy with the time savings and tool life gains.

Now with the questions. What do you use for entry into the part? ramp or helix? i used helix with a 1 deg angle and the same feed and rpm as for cutting. but i was getting alot of wear on the corners of the endmill. the part was 304l ss. i was pocketing a roughly 2" x 2" x .390" pocket. i was using a 3/8" OSG exocarb aero-sus endmill model 2044. about 6300 rpm and about 45 ipm, full .390" depth. i was wondering what i should have been using for helix feed and speed and angle of entry? i was getting about 32-64 pieces (about 4-8 hours) tool life. the endmill had no corners left when i changed them out. i think i was not feeding right for my entry. when i did these parts before i used an inserted endmill to rough a hole then i cam in with the same OSG endmill to finish the pocket with standard pocket tool path with 10% cut width, and was getting about 300 pieces tool life. the boss did not mind the extra cost on the tools because i save 20 mins per piece cycle time. but i did not like it. i want to do better next time. any suggestions would be great on how i could improve on this would be good.

i plan on using these new tool path alot in the future. they are a real time saver. just need to learn the ins and outs of them and i will make the new machine dance. and the boss will be happy

Bob

Punch a hole with an insert drill then chain the point first set helix at point and do a fast helix down to depth of cut

x2 this is the best to save your corner, set entry angle to 90° and radius at 0, select "enter on helix point" . it will plunge strait in the hole

but Friday i ordered a EFPI end mill from iscar, i can't wait to try it, it's like a Christmas gift :)

for speed and feed you can refer to this: dynamic database my settings for 304 are pretty good and they are 500% tested ;)

but Friday i ordered a EFPI end mill from iscar, i can't wait to try it, it's like a Christmas gift :)

Holy crap! is that video in real time or has it been sped up for effect? I almost fell out of my chair watching that. :D I dont think that any of our machines will move that fast without tipping over.

so i guess i have to ask the boss to buy a nice new inserted drill to pop holes in these parts to save the corners. what is a good inserted drill for doing that? preferably from sandvik. also what about inserts for a sandvik r390 11mm size inserts? i was using the 2030 at the recommended speed and feed and was melting the corners of in 2 parts. i had better luck with the 4030 grade at half the recommended speed.

• 3 weeks later...