Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mill/Turn available Options

Mcam Nut

We are purchasing a mill turn machine with 2 chucks, and a mill spindle, no turrets, it also has a y axis. I don't see a lot of information in the specs, but is there any options that I should make sure the machine has to allow full 5 axis capabilities? or is this a standard option on most mill turns. Is there any other machine options I should look for. We are not a production shop so a lower turret is not necessary.

There are a lot of control options that need to be considered when buying a machine like this.

If the boss and the dealer are lowballing trying to make a deal, the control options get left on the

table and the poor slobs who have to run the machine pay for it daily.... for years...

an example I saw recently.... a $1.2 million horizontal boring mill.. fire sale priced at $800K

It came in with a stripped control and 125K ( yes 125K!!!) of memory :angry:

I don't know about other manufacturers, although I suspect they would be the same, but unless you see an itemized option charge on your quote for full 5th then I would doubt it has it. If you do plan on doing full 5th type parts like impellers you should get more info on how the machine handles TCP or if you need to program for tool length. Many B-axis machines don't share the same control software as 5 axis mills so some of the TCP/dynamic offset features are not available.

if it's an okuma , go for the p-200 control, you will get over 25gb of memory space, it's more than enough

@ gcode , one of our mill got only 16k of memory space and don't support helix and no DNC , i really hate programming this machine, for a simple part i got to post several different nc file

we are down to 2 machines that meet our requirements. Please do not comment on your personnel preference, but it is down to Mazak and DMG. Both machines are great machines, so I will be happy regardless, But full 5 axis would be a nice bonus.

All I can say about DMG is good luck getting parts when the machine goes down.

If it's actually a Mori with the DMG label, then either will perform well in 5-Axis but Mazak has more experience in this area.

I am not involved in the decision at all, I think it depends on which machine meets the most of our requirements, and I dont think they listed full 5 axis as a requirement, with the assumption that it was a standard option. Do to the process involved in the purchase, we are unable to modify the requirements now that the competition is closed, or even award points for an option that isn't on our list of requirements. I believe the Mazak is the integrex 400-IV S/L, and the DMG is the the CTX Beta 1250 TC. I don't know if DMG service is better in Canada, but we don't seem to have any issues with our 5 ax mill. I ran a integrex 200 in the past and liked it, and Mazak's service is excellent around here.

I am not involved in the decision at all, I think it depends on which machine meets the most of our requirements, and I dont think they listed full 5 axis as a requirement, with the assumption that it was a standard option. Do to the process involved in the purchase, we are unable to modify the requirements now that the competition is closed, or even award points for an option that isn't on our list of requirements. I believe the Mazak is the integrex 400-IV S/L, and the DMG is the the CTX Beta 1250 TC. I don't know if DMG service is better in Canada, but we don't seem to have any issues with our 5 ax mill. I ran a integrex 200 in the past and liked it, and Mazak's service is excellent around here.

That's a high dollar purchase. It's too bad they are looking at the Integrex Mark IV, because the new i400 unveiled at IMTS is a completely different machine, more like the e-h series Integrexes.