Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

"The Selected Objects do not Intersect"

MILLRUNNER

Running Mastercam X2, and sometimes when drawing geometry I get the message I listed in the topic title "The Selected Objects do not Intersect".

I'm not sure what causes this. Even if I extend both lines past each other and try again to trim using the "trim 2 entity" button, it will still give me that error.

The reason I am trimming lines to each other is to be sure everything is connected when trying to make a path chain completely. If there are breaks it won't chain or only partial chain, etc.

The only explanation I can see for this would be that I have lines at 2 different depths (Z height difference). If so, How in the world did that happen? I only draw in top view, no 3D or anything. If this may be the case, How would I check to see if I have lines on different levels? I have tried turning the view to front or side or back, but I still can't see anything at different levels.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

***How would I check to see if I have lines on different levels? I have tried turning the view to front or side or back, but I still can't see anything at different levels.***

Analyze the endpoints of the lines to check if they are at different z-depths. Even though you can't see that they are at different depths, they may only be .0001 different and they will not trim.

Really not nuff said.

I have had this problem many times. The lines are at the same z depths. I am in 2d. The lines intersect. I can project them onto a plane... and still they will not trim. The only thing I have found to work is to redraw the lines and try again. This is also a problem with arcs that intersect other arcs or lines. Here again I have had to redraw the entities and then they will trim.

Really not nuff said.

I have had this problem many times. The lines are at the same z depths. I am in 2d. The lines intersect. I can project them onto a plane... and still they will not trim. The only thing I have found to work is to redraw the lines and try again. This is also a problem with arcs that intersect other arcs or lines. Here again I have had to redraw the entities and then they will trim.

Try "Screen-Combine views" if you have this trimming problem with arcs. That always fixes it for me.

I've never had lines that I wasn't able to trim.

Sometimes you get a spline (or multiple splines) that look like lines or arcs. Keep in mind that splines can be trimmed when they intersect, but they can't be trimmed (like lines and arcs can) when the trim will extend them. You have to extend them first until they physically intersect, then trim them back.

Thad

Really not nuff said.

it has always worked for me. B)

I work with my Geometry from a CAD file. I export a DXF and bring it into Mastercam in that format. My boss draws everything in PowerCAD, and it isn't unusual to find overlapping lines and broken pieces. I take geometry from mastercam and chain it to use in the wire machines I run. If the lines won't chain, I have to find out why. I usually redraw every single line and arc to begin with, to avoid the possibility of the machine rejecting something because of a broken chain or something. When I redraw the geometry, I trim every arc and line to each other to complete the chain and be sure it is complete. This is where I occasionally run into the problem of Mastercam telling me the error.

My boss draws in layers in PowerCAD, but that isn't the same as different Z depths is it? For all discussion purposes, really nothing we do is 3D. Every thing we do is 2D.

I have also noticed the problem when I have this example:

Two lines intersecting at some point. I fillet the corner (or intersection) at a given radius. I then take the radius and "Trim/Break" > "Break many pieces" the arc that creates the fillet. The arc is now broken into multiple line segments instead of a radius. Then, if I try to take the very last line segment (the segments that make up what used to be the radius) and trim it to the lines that we there interescting to begin with, it won't do it. It gives me that error. If I try to trim each line segment to it's neighbor - the ones that used to be the arc, they all trim to each other, but not the two big lines they meet. I tried to make that as clear as possible, but I understand if it may be confusing. Ask, and I will clarify further if necessary.

Millrunner,

If you typically have issues with the files you're getting, the first thing I would do is use delete duplicates, (ACad was famous for having duplicate line & arc entities).

Another utility to try would be a C-Hook called "FindOverlap", the combine views is another good tool for problem geom. Make certain that the toolpath geom you want to use is all on the same level in the levels manager (I typically copy the geom to a separate level and modify it so I don't disturb the original).

Before trying to use a chain as toolpath geom, I will use analyze chain to find & fix the problem areas. If there are small gaps in your chain that you would like to skip over, open the chaining options and reset the chaining tolerance (the default is 0.0001 if you reset it to 0.005 - 0.010 the chain manger will jump the small gaps).

The trimming was picky like that in X2 and I would also just re draw the two lines etc. that wouldn't meet even though if you measured them

They were right where the new lines you drew that would trim.

For arcs on the fly I use create arc single point dynamic.

Dxf's come in great but iges arc's turn to a spline filled trimfest.

The trimming in X4/X5 doesn't have your issue's.