Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

surf. finish, contour

mikhael gutman

WOW eek.gifeek.gif ! That is cool Mark! Is that an actual Warlock file? I'd love to take a look at it wink.gif . I figured it was about time I gave myself an avatar, so I chose my guitar - neck thru Warlock w/ the widow headstock.

cheers.gif

Mikhael, any luck?

[ 04-25-2003, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Zero ]

Alright thats 2 days this week that I have had to drool with envy of you guys that get to make guitars and banjos and cool junk ... knock it off. Im over here trying to concentrate on a fixture to wire edm square holes in round thingies that I could care less what there used for (and they oughta be broached anyway but thats another boring story) ... and you guys .... "oh look at my cool guitar I used to work for BC rich ... look they payed me to make a banjo .. wink.gif

Of course this is a lame attempt to convert my jjeolous energr into humor.

Really though Cool stuff.

cheers.gif

Stealing the topic back for Mikael ...

Mikael,

Could you provide some more detail ?

Version ? How much deviation are you talking about ?

quote:

I have had problems recently on a couple of jobs when filtering/arc in surf. contour finish toolpaths. Cutter deviate in surface which represented as regular cone(so really simple) The surface finish is good with no filtering (long program). Arc fitting ,if properly done, should improve the surface finish.

If the faceting you are seeing is in verify it is likely a display artifact. i.e. its not really faceted, it just looks that way because display hardware has a really tough time dealing with curves.

In verify, you can do the following to improve the surface display.

- Click on the settings button on the verify toolbar (its the one on the far left) and drag the 'Quality' slider all the way to the right. THis will clean things up quite a bit.

- While you are there, put a checkmark in 'True Solid' over there on the left side of the dialog box.

- To check the surface in a particualr area, zoom in on it after running verify, then re-run verify. That forces MasterCAM to re-build the solid at a higher resolution, which will eliminate the faceting caused by display artifacts.

Rick, when I run verify and then zoom in on it, I can't rerun verify without it zooming back out to the default isometric view. I know that I can zoom in on the model and run it, but it would be nice to be able to zoom right up on a particular machining detail and then rerun. Do you know of a way to do that?

Trevor, I'll see if I can get ahold of any of the basic numbers to work off of. To be honest, you don't have to worry too much about accuracy. At the time I did that, they were doing both bolt-on and neck-through models, and having each made in Korea, in a US factory, and in their US custom shop, and all were substantially different. The perimeters were different, the carving was different, the rear control cavity was different, the pickup placement was different... But the basic look was the same.

Hey, Zero, I'm guessing that you play a lot of folk music on that thing, right? biggrin.gif

Hi ,Michael ! smile.gif

IMHO filtering is only aproximation of the long path so it will reduce the faceting but will also deviate the geometry. I found that a long time ago when I did a surface contour on a part with a cylinder with a big diameter and after filtering I got on the same depth four different arcs with a different I and J !(all of them inside tollerance ).

So what I do is to give very tight tolerances on total tolerance and filter ratio 2:1 or 3:1.

I work with a millimeter configuration and i use total tolerance 0.005 or less and it helps.

It takes more time to calculate but it worth it.

Also I only create arcs in XY.

Also try to use one way filtering.

I wish that helps

If you are having trouble filitering toolpaths,

make sure you ar using the latest mp.dll file.

The initial mp.dll that came with V9 had some

issues with filtering. A lot of people (including

myself) installed V9.1 in a new folder then copied

their V9 mill.cfg files into the new install.

All the file paths point back to the old V9 folder

This means you are posting with the old V9 mp.dll.

The latest mp.dll file is 9.12

quote:

Rick, when I run verify and then zoom in on it, I can't rerun verify without it zooming back out to the default isometric view. I know that I can zoom in on the model and run it, but it would be nice to be able to zoom right up on a particular machining detail and then rerun. Do you know of a way to do that?

Are you using True Solid verification? If so, zoom in on the feature you want to look at and, without exiting verify, click on the '<<' button, then click on '>' to re-run verify at the zoomed-in view. If you are not using True Solid, make sure to select it first or you'll not be able to use the zoom and rotate commands very well. True Solid runs faster, too.