Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

High feed inserted cutters

So there are a bunch of high feed cutters out there. Which brands do you like? pros, cons...

Currently we have a Hitachi IASR in on test, but are also looking at the Mitsubishi AJX and Iscar Helido 600 upfeed.

The Hitachi cuts a little rough in the Makino S56 (420 SS prehard 35 hrc), and I get slightly higher removal rates with solid carbide (thanks to Mastercam's new OptiRough toolpath), AND the solid carbide runs much smoother. It's too soon to tell about insert life, but they claim the Hitachi inserts last forever :rolleyes:

Additional info;

Hitachi (.750) was just over $100, inserts $10, 2 cutting edges per insert, 3 inserts per tool.

Mitsubishi (.750) is around $175... inserts $6.70, 3 cutting edges per insert, 2 inserts per tool.

Any additional info is appreciated - specifically regarding cutting smoothness (don't like shaking the machine), insert life...

I've only used Iscar Feedmills in 1" and 2" sizes. I can't compare them to any other cutter, but I do like them. I just got done roughing 16 mold inserts that started out at 250lbs (14" x 14" x 4.5" H13) and roughed over 60lbs off of each one and got 6 parts roughed with 1 set of (4) inserts (3 sides)so I was getting 2 parts roughed before rotating the inserts. Cycle time was 47 minutes feeding @ 178 IPM at 1mm DOC and 67% stepover with 2" Feedmill using the Opti-rough toolpath

Thanks - I have heard good things about the Mitsubishi, need to get one in on test!

Here are some of the Hitachi numbers that were recommended for Stainless Steel;

3/4 diameter tool (3 inserts), General - SFM 427, Feed 122, ipt .020, Spindle 2070, 50% step over, .039 DOC

3/4 diameter tool (3 inserts), Hi-speed - SFM 591, Feed 352, ipt .039, Spindle 3010, 50% step over, .020 DOC

Actually the maximum recommended step over was 84%, but the tool left cusps, and I was concerned about the next pass cutting too much and breaking the inserts.

The Hi-speed feedrate option ran smoother in the machine due to the shallower DOC, but still made some noise.

We use both Iscar and Kennametal versions.

The iscar inserts last longer and cut softer but the Kennametal cutter handles intermitent cutting better due to the flatter insert geometery.

We find that MQL gives the best insert life over coolant or dry in all tool steels and medical stainless.

Iscar feed mill.... i always got outstanding result whit thees,

Iscar spec: 3/4 3fl cutter: 4500RPM .03DOC 285IPM 90% stepover , the inserts can cut 4340@ 45HRC for well over an hour of cutting time/ corner

2in shell mill cutter 1250RPM .05 DOC 375IPM (our machine maximum feed), in the same material i can easily cut for 90 minutes and the insert still in good shape

i got to try the AJX one day

Iscar "Helido" and "Sumomill" all the way... Lasts 20 times longer than Ingersol cutters. I work in a mold shop and have done extensive tests with interupted cuts and deep pocket milling.

We started out using Ingersol cutters and kept blowing them up, after 20 cutters, Ingersol wouldn't replace the cutter bodies anymore. We switched to Iscar about a year ago, we havn't blown up a cutter body yet!

The inserts last longer, but are more expensive. YMMV!!! :)

Iscar "Helido" and "Sumomill" all the way... Lasts 20 times longer than Ingersol cutters. I work in a mold shop and have done extensive tests with interupted cuts and deep pocket milling.

We started out using Ingersol cutters and kept blowing them up, after 20 cutters, Ingersol wouldn't replace the cutter bodies anymore. We switched to Iscar about a year ago, we havn't blown up a cutter body yet!

The inserts last longer, but are more expensive. YMMV!!! :)

I've tried to drill that into a few people's heads around here. They might be "More expensive" but if they last 2-3 times longer than the cheaper ones last........well then, they aint too expensive anymore, are they?? :rolleyes:

Too many tools to try...

I see the Iscar inserts have 6 cutting edges (3 per side, 2 sides), so at twice the cost it breaks even. However Iscar just raised their prices across the board - up 4.75% according to my distributor. And yeah tool life is a big factor... unfortunately all the tool reps claim their inserts last the longest. <_<

Your right Mark, they all claim their tools last longer. Thats why you have to do your own tests. You have to get some reps in and let them show you what their tools do on the materials and setups that you have in your shop.

They usually let you try the cutters for free and they will stay there and help you with feeds and speeds to get the desired results you want.

• 2 weeks later...