Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hybrid Finishing

cunder

I gave hydrid a try yesterday and they ran it last night. At first the toolpath looked great, then i saw the part this mornning and was a little shocked. I looked closer at the toolpath and noticed the sharp moves it makes in the exact area of the gouges. not sure why mastercam makes such moves....but it did.

is there a way force mastercam to work from the top down instead of top to btm then middle?

below you will see the tool path and the finished part.

.750 3fl ball em

.012 step down

.012 step over

arc filter toll = .0004

finish = best

create arcs

smooth set to random points

TOOLPATHMOVESSHARP.gif

TOOLPATH.gif

PART.jpg

Damian, can you try that toolpath in a newer and better machine? Out of the 12 machining centers in this shop, only 2 can handle the code of the hybrid toolpath. If I try the hybrid toolpath on the other machines, I get similar results as shown in your photo.

"that being said i still dont like the way it makes sharp corners." That's why I use scallop as a last resort for finishing in most cases. Even with a tight machine, those sharp moves are just bad news.

"is there a way force mastercam to work from the top down instead of top to btm then middle? Trim the tool path, then create another one, and so on.

I will admit that with a little hocus pocus, I can get a scallop path to give better results than blend or contour in certain situations, by trimming the path, then applying a different type of path to finish when scallop starts spiking like that or changing directions.

• 1 month later...