Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

The impossible! Machining with 1/32 endmill

TeccBoxx

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on machining 6061 aluminum with 1/32 endmill. Basically it is all going to be on a finish pass but will have to go at a depth of no more than .05 and the max RPM spindle speed I can get on the Haas is 7500.

I have only messed with a 1/32 endmill and told myself I would never use it again. However with the project that I am doing it is needed. So if anyone has any ideas I would love to here them.

Hi,

We machine 316 stainless mould cavitys with as small as .005" Ballnose cutters with no problems. In fact I have broken off more cutters in my fingers while setting them in the tool arbours than I have in the job.

I would recommend that you buy a speed increasing head for your machine as 7500 RPM will not be enough to successfully complete this job, Use about 0.01mm per edge feed and no more than 5% of diameter for the depth of cut, With coolant.

Good Luck

What kind of cut are you taking?

If your profiling take very shallow depth

of cut w/ multiple passes. I would also use

Some sort of cutting fluid (not coolant).

If you can use the Ramp toolpath in contour

set the ramp angle as shallow as possible.

PEACE biggrin.gif

We use this size endmill everyday in our Haas's, both the 7500 and the 10,000's. It does run faster in the 10,000's, however we usually don't have any problems in either. Make sure you have plenty of coolant on the endmill, and you might try running the mixture on the heavier side. It helps alot for us. It won't be the fastest, but if you don't have alot of work for it, don't bother spending the money on a spindle rpm increaser. If you plan on doing this job alot, the increaser is the way to go.

One last point, alot of the time's when we break these small endmills it's because a chip got stuck in the spindle. If you have the standard Haas rotary tool changer(not the outside, swingarm optional changer) and run alot of aluminum at high feeds and speeds like we do, you will undoubtedly get chips up in the changer that will stick to some of the tools taper, and end up in the spindle. Make sure you clean the spindle frequently.

We run down to .020's on our Haas, with only a 6000 rpm spindle...Just keep the ipm's down it will work, 3-5 ipm.

What kind of spindle speed multipliers are people running? I've debated buying a cheepo turbine ($500+), just to see how they work...anyone else with experience with these or others?

quote:

What kind of spindle speed multipliers are people running? I've debated buying a cheepo turbine ($500+), just to see how they work...anyone else with experience with these or others?

We had a turbine in on demo.I sent it back.It had no torque plus this one went in a tool holder so it limited me to one tool (not to mentionm the extra 5 or6 inches of overhang)and most times I need to put detail cuts on most cavities.Luckily we have 15000 Rpm on one of our mills with 10000 on the others.

cheers.gif Noel

Hi,

quote:

We don't use them any more as we are lucky enough to have a machine that does 35K and another with 20K on the spindle.

However we used to use spindle increasers all the time and we found that the only one's worth having were BIG. There not cheap but it is a case of the old story, "You get what you pay for"

I ran a mold core on a HAAS a while back using a 1/64" for finishing. The company wanted to try machining it after the heat treating. eek.gif (Seemed like a good idea at the time, I guess...)Tooling was not our problem. 2 spindles burning out over the 6 day cycle time was our problem. (I actually beleive the second spindle got toasted because of a bad break-in program when the spindle was installed.)

Now when I'm running one of the HAAS' at high RPM for more than a couple hours, I point one or 2 of the coolant nozzles at the spindle. (This also helps with thermal expansion to a point.)

In fact, that core was part of the mold for the picture in my avatar. It was the inside half of the handle you see being machined, where the switch blade action components went. I'll dig up a picture of it.

Keep the rpm's up and the feeds/depths of cut low.

'Rekd teh Destroyer

[ 05-27-2003, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

The pricy part was the powers that be deciding to machine that POS after heat treat. HAAS, if I remember correctly, picked up the tab on both spindles.

Here's the part. The picture was taken between spindle number 2 and number 3.

divix_core.jpg

'Rekd teh Bad planning and poor judgement in your department does not necessarily constitute an emergency in mine!

It's not like HAAS didn't put up a fight. The only leg they had to stand on was the fact that we re-routed our coolant lines to run air. They said the spindle uses the coolant to help cool the spindle. Then we informed them that we were aware of this, and that the mods we made ensured coolant still traveling through the spindle.

'Rekd teh Been there, wrecked that.

That's one of the other reasons I was thinking about the spindle multipliers, to save use on the machine spindle...i.e. running full tilt on a turbine for a day or so, or running the machine spindle for a couple of days at max rpm. But it sounds like those turbine's are pretty trashy.. eek.gif

That Haas design for cooling the spindle is a joke!!!!! We run nothing but aluminum, and almost always at full rpm, either 7500 ot 10,000 depending on the machine, and the spindle gets real hot. Been thru 2 of them already. You have to do just like Rekd said, point a nozzle or two directly on the spindle to keep it cool. God forbid your running a 60RC mold and want to use air and no coolant with small tools, the thing would probably glow red. Haas should have some sort of refrigerant chiller like almost every other comapny has. I mean even Fadal has a chiller for their spindle and ballscrews. It can't be that expensive!!! mad.gifmad.gif

Let me just start by saying I hate fadels as much as the next guy but I got saddled with 3 of them a few years back. I run them up to 10000 rpm all of the time (Lots of cavity finishing)and have only had one go south in 3 0r 4 years.Didn't cost a whole lot to fix.That being siad I still hate them.

cheers.gif Noel